Cork

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by jeff mccourt, Mar 2, 2018.

1. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

Mr Gaston told me that when done hunting take call apart and rinse it off and put insert in fridge. keeps the cork from drying out and will last a long time.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Years!:yes:yes:yes

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Should have read "corks". Once I have a reed dialed in, it stays that way until worn out from erosion, which takes me many years of daily in-season use.

4. Rick Hall

I get the joke on "typical call," but folks should know a "new" unused cork can also die on the shelf.

5. Rick Hall

Good choices. Now it's on you.

6. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

As a winemaker and rod builder I can tell you that the quality of cork generally available has gone way down. The extra, extra fine, dense, clear of holes, white cork is very hard to find.
    Some premium winemakers still use the very top grade stuff. If you are looking for top quality cork you might check with a restaurant that sell expensive wines. Of course you would have to cut your own which is not that hard if you set up a simple jig with a single edge blade.
    There are also different grades of synthetic cork. The top grade is a very good product and does not absorb water.
    I have posted a photo showing this in the past. Photo bucket is holding that photo hostage so I will have to search my computer and may find it.