Corn so good even foiles would be jealous

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by da fowl slayer, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Senior Refuge Member

Nice pit blind :tu - where did y'all buy it from?

2. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

adam lyerly in arkansas builds my pits(sponsor here)
    www.arkansasduckblinds.com
    they are 20ft long with 2 2ft dog boxes.
    5 ft tall and 6ft from front to back
    adam built them and delivered to my field where i wanted them buried. i have been buying fro adam for 10 yrs good stuff they are

3. No-Tox

No-Tox Elite Refuge Member

You call yourself a good property manager for the ducks???....I'll be the judge on that....which means I need to come out for a hunt :tu

looks great

4. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

That is some dam fine corn for this year for sure. Many farmers aren't even harvesting their corn it is so bad.

5. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

Easy boys!

I can luckily say you're wrong about biologists - sounds like you just have a couple bad local ones. Biologists - especially those in the restoration end of things - are, let's say, 25% active hunters, another 50% have hunted at some point in their lives and/or are fine and sympathetic to hunting, and the last 10-25% are not supportive of "harvest goals" so to speak.

The biggest issue I've had over my 14 years of experience (I know, some of you have 30 years) is simply that most landowners have limited amount of land to do projects. If every landowner interested in duck projects had 100 acres to flood, I think more of them would have a mix of hot food like corn to maximize the duck harvest, and moist soil and emergent (i.e. duck potato) plots to make sure the late winter and early spring needs of the birds are met.

Unfortunately, too many landowners only have 2, 5, 10, 12 acres to work with as far as what they can afford to flood (or what will work with their soil types), and so what they end up choosing is often either a corn or a millet impoundment, because harvesting ducks is a high priority.

6. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

They were hogging it in early August in some parts of our area :(

7. Marshwalker

Marshwalker Senior Refuge Member

Ira that Buffett is awesome. The one thing you could count on was your system was cleaned out:) Kevin see ya in a few days.

8. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

No tox we don't know alot about management but we do know about hardworking. Most folks (not ourlittle group here) dont understand how many hrs we have put in to make our places look like they do. It's more than a full time it's our life!!!!!!! I love sharing its why I do it. Come on!

9. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

Weedy corn is the solution we have found. We prep the fields, plant then spray at about 18". We dont spray again and let the weeds grow up. It really helps with birds using it all season and after. We had about 200 bushels/acre yields this year on the area we cut, so if done right you can get plenty of corn and plenty of weed seeds and plenty of food for invertebrates. We also have very grown up dyke banks that have buttonbush, oaks, smartwed etc... that provide natural seeds. We load up with midge larvae and snails and othe invertebrates that the ducks love late in the season for egg production .

Looking good da fowl slayer!!!

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

On the topic of limited areas to flood, flooding crop residue is not near as good as flooding standing corn but it has two things (maybe more) going for it; one, you get to harvest your corn so farmer is happy, two, you don't have to flood it as deep to get them to use it.

I like hearing about 200bu/acre weedy corn. I have read numerous times here that weedy corn was no good. Glad it is working for you.