Corn so good even foiles would be jealous

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by da fowl slayer, Oct 23, 2012.

1. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

where have your heard weedy corn was no good?? As in the yield or for ducks using it? Just curious

2. Duper

Duper New Member

I hope they like our weedy corn and milo!

Attached Files:

3. gilzowg

gilzowg Elite Refuge Member

No-tox, I'll pick you on the way up...

I'll pay for the gas, but you're gonna have to supply the bud light...slayer looks like a big ole boy.

4. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

In my area hunters are anti-moist soil. They just see it as a bunch of weeds. They will tell you that a duck will only eat those weeds if no corn is available and they are starving. Duck blind drawings are a bit different here than in many places. Here you get the blind for the season. The drawing is in early August. If the area around the blinds didn't get planted by the coop farmer or the state the hunters can get permission to plant. Over the years I bet I have seen a hundred cases of hunters disking under excellent moist soil food, often barnyardgrass, and then planting Japanese millet.:doh Even the state guys are pressured by politicians and game commisioners to go in and disk up moist soil and plant millet around blinds. :scratch Trying to convince them differently is like beating your head against a brick wall.

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Right here on the habitat forum.

It has been often said that if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of planting corn it should be treated as a crop to get the highest yield and most duck usage.

Myself, I always thought it was a good thing if managed correctly.

Give me a few minutes and I will try to pull some threads.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=896002&highlight=dirty

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

We dont let our corn get overly weedy. It has a fair amount of weeds in it but it still is open. It doesnt take much to make a difference. We get the first spray to let the corn jump and then we dont spray it again. where we are teh soil is pretty good so the corn jumps up quick and weeds cant come back but so much. We have a bear problem and we loose some to them each year. In the areas they knock down, we usually get some good weeds growing, plus the corn they knock over, so its actually a win win as long as we can keep them under control. Last year we lost 1.5 to 2 acres to the bustards. This year, we only loss 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre and i think it will be beneficial for openings in the corn and some natural food. BTW if anyone wants to keep bears in check get a radio or two and keep it on npr. A few rags with ammonia doesnt hurt either. Made a big difference this year.

7. No-Tox

No-Tox Elite Refuge Member

If he would have us up there, I'll buy him the good stuff....even if it would have to be lots of it.
    Actually I would love to hunt a place like his just to learn more about how I can manage my property.

8. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

I would not have believed that moist soil could outdraw corn until last year. Maybe it was the weather but at Eagle Bluff the pools with a good stand of moist soil foods was the highest avg kill.

9. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Check the gizzards on the birds you shoot to see what they have been feeding on. I have been doing it for 25 years and moist soil foods greatly exceeded ag crops. Oddly enough the duck with the most ag foods have been wood ducks. I have shot them with both corn and soybeans in them. I have also found plenty of birds with both moist soil and ag crops in them. Makes perfect since due to the nutritional variations between them. Now checking the gizzards is an imperfect method as recently eaten food may still be in the esophagus, which is much more time consuming to check fully. Also many soft foods such as many moist soil seeds and invertebrates are quickly turned to mush and can't be identified. You will likely find that the clear majority of gizzards are empty other than grit, then next in line is unidentifiable mush, then finally foods you can ID. Smartweed seed is very hard and takes longer to grind down than most other foods.

10. gilzowg

gilzowg Elite Refuge Member

I would get him the good stuff too, but there is no way I could find the time to manage my land like that. I got access to a six row planter this year and I had big plans, but I just can't find the time to get it done.

Much respect for those that do.