"Cosmo"

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by WK2HNT, Oct 4, 2017.

1. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Thought I would ask the experts here, who has dogs out of his line and how do they act, would you go this route again, whats the good and bad, do you have males or females?

2. WK2HNT

Thanks for all the pm info guys. Keep any opinions coming.

3. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

A single dog's influence gets watered down a great degree over the generations. After a few generations the influence of one dog in the pedigree is negligible.

Cosmo was the stereotype of the wild field trial dog. He was extremely talented but chock full of adrenaline, a very powerful dog. It took a top level pro to keep him somewhat in control. He produced lots of FCs.

I had a Cosmo son. He was the wildest, smartest and most water honest dog we have ever owned. He figured out how to get out of his various crates and open the back gate. One time he pushed a wooden chair several feet so that he could climb up and eat the ripe fruit hanging fruit from a tree. Unfortunately, he had an extreme case of Exercise Induced Collapse, so I was not even able to hunt him.

He was a challenge to force fetch. At six months old he was approaching 70 lbs and very muscular. I had to bolt his collar to a post to keep him still enough to train on "hold".

If you are looking for a high octane dog with lots ability, I would go to the Chopper line. Chopper is a grandson of Cosmo. I have grandson of Chopper that is between qualifying and all age stakes. He is extremely powerful, wild and talented. He was sired by Ford (Sweeties Easy Rider).

4. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

Generally Cosmo dogs are high powered dogs. A lot goes into the training. I train for FT's and wouldn't want a Cosmo dog. I prefer the more laid back dogs that can turn it on/off when needed. I like the dog that lays in the kennel until I open the door and then still lays there until I say the dog's name. These are the dogs that are maleable, like a jar of clay. I can mold them into AA dogs. The crazy ones are on their own agenda, self employed I call it....
    Good luck.

5. WK2HNT

Thanks for the info. That's exactly the things I have always heard about cosmo. Have a deposit on a pup due mid October and I will get it if a black female shows up in the litter. Ai breeding to cosmo to a hrch bitch that is a proven producer with a very good on/off switch that is also a solid hunter. My present dog is about to turn 8 and I'm looking to get one ready to hunt when she retires. My best hunting partner is getting a male from the same litter and at 6 months they will be going to a pro that's done well with cosmo dogs. He had always told us that he can slow a dog down but can't speed them up if they don't have to want too. It was just time to roll the dice. Thanks for all the feedback

6. HarryWilliams

HarryWilliams Elite Refuge Member

The bitch is ever so important with any breeding.
    I saw Cosmo several times. I judged him in an Open once. I've seen numerous of his get. I bred a dog of mine to him once (produced some very nice dogs). He is a prepotent sire. Typically I think his pups are good looking, intelligent, good natured dogs with high drive, good eyesight that can mark. I'd take another in a heart beat. Consistent training and early obedience are important.

7. WK2HNT

Anyone know how old cosmo was when he passed away? And how long ago?

8. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

WK2HUNT who are you? Do we know each other? i have trained several Cosmo dogs. Send me some contact info to mperry1169@aol.com

9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Dare to Dream - Cosmo. AKA Dare to Scream...

I've had 2 Cosmo dogs, both males. I liken my 2 to driving a Ferrari. A handful at times, but for the most part very fun.