Cost of build vs purchase of layout boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Kelpy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kelpy

Kelpy Senior Refuge Member

Living in the west we don't have a ton of layout boats around here. Getting one shipped from the Great Lakes region will be expensive in addition to the actual cost. My question is, has anyone done any sort of cost comparison of what it costs to build a boat vs buying a manufactured one?

Just curious if it would be worth the effort to try and build a boat (summer time project next year) or just buy one.

Thoughts? Anyone done it and have an opinion on building?

2. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Are you looking at a true layout boat or a marsh boat? If it's a true layout boat I would just wait for a used one and be willing to drive a little bit for the right one. If you're talking about a marsh boat pm sometime.

If you build one are you thinking about welding your own or are you thinking wood and fiberglass? I have done a fair amount of research on this and I can tell you everyone has their own opinion. Also check out NW Duck Boats. He is based in Oregon but he drives around everywhere.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

4. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Also have yourself a peak at that 500+ page hybrid thread pinned to the top of this forum. A wealth of information is in there.

5. Kelpy

Kelpy Senior Refuge Member

I'm mainly looking at a true layout boat. A very low profile would be good because I'm looking to hunt open water puddle ducks. I have a few other boats for the purposes of hunting the marsh. Thanks for the link to the NW page. I see you are in Spokane, I've hunted a lot around CDA, Pend Oreille and North of there.

EWUEagles likes this.
  6. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

I was 500 probably 600 in on mine. With wood, fabric, resin, hundreds of stainless screws, paint, etc it adds up quick. However, you can make it to your fit.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Google Paul Busick layout boats. He will give you the straight scoop.

8. crazyquacked

crazyquacked Elite Refuge Member

If you are planning to hunt puddlers in an open water layout boat you may be disappointed. When I was still hunting out of mine, in the areas you mentioned, I shot almost no Mallards. Some days I could shoot Wigeon and Gadwall, maybe 25% of the time. And if the weather isnt right, forget it. My favorite way to hunt and most labor/gear intensive. Like EWU said, find a commercial made one. Those curves are hard to build from glass and plywood and will be very heavy when you are done. Let me know if you want to buy one, maybe the guy I sold mine to wants to sell it. Dont think he has used it in the 3 years he has owned it.