Could get interesting...

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by lwingwatcher, Jan 30, 2005.

1. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Yesterday was a cluster (newbies) with the crew my son is with. Suffice it to say, the hounds will be too beat to run today. So, the brother of the houndsman is bringing a pair down from further north.

I had stuff to do today but, upon hearing that the pair of dogs caught over 20 coyotes last year alone, I gotta go to see this run. It doesn't sound like there will be any question where the dogs are in relation to the coyote.

I wish we had fresher snow but, oh well... Stay tuned

2. weatherby

weatherby Moderator Moderator

Let me know how ya do. I am goin on my 1st coyote hunt with dawgs Tuesday morning. Thgese dawgs are supposed to be pretty good and i am goin in with a open mind so wish me luck

3. Mike Rathnow

Mike Rathnow Senior Refuge Member

Make use you tell us how you did!

4. B52-man

B52-man Elite Refuge Member

Can't run dogs up here.
    Sounds like a blast.

5. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Well, it was a slow start...we couldn't find a fresh track to save our butts, at least not in the areas we have permission on.

It wasn't until this afternoon that we just decided to take a couple of dogs out into the section and...lo and behold, they got one going. We had enough guys today so we weren't too concerned about it getting out of the section (as long as nobody shot at it and missed).

It ran one brushy/woodsy area for awhile and then headed south across a field and started circling again. One of the two guys out in the woods saw it 5 times but only had a shotgun with him. Finally the coyote tried to sneak back north but made the mistake of trying to cross a corner only 30 yards where one of the guys was waiting with a rifle. Bang and that run was over. A female not yet in heat but the pelt was in good shape.

On another note, we had run across a road kill deer in a ditch and had drug it up to the side of the road with the intention of bringing it home to put out back. After the days run was over, we went back to get it and some friggin varmit swiped our bait carcass. I couldn't believe it...this varmit hunting thing must be gaining popularity...

Weatherby, who are you crewing with and, do you want a rifle if my son is not using it? There are a couple of other crews around--one was running out west of town today too.

6. msbownut

msbownut Senior Refuge Member

Its been 20 years since I have been out with hounds. Use to go out with a couple of guys for coyotes and coons in norther MN.
    Mike