Cover for Ducklings

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by bbfky, Apr 3, 2019.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

I have 2 ponds about 75 yards from one another, the big pond 1.5 acres has some cover overhanging trees but not a lot and wanted to know if I need to provide more cover for Wood Ducks that will hopefully hatch in 3 weeks. I can sink a couple of cedar trees in 2 ft of water that could provide some cover. We will have 2 sets of goslings one from each pond but I think the parents will be more protective or them I was mainly concerned about the wood ducks. I have plenty of aquatic vegetation just not a lot of cover and wanted to try and add some before they hatch any suggestions? We have only seen 3 snakes in 4 years and I have removed almost all the snapping turtles. Just trying to give them a better chance of survival
    thanks for any advice

2. dirtyj

dirtyj Senior Refuge Member

Kill the foxes too. Crows and hawks are your next problem

3. bbfky

We have only seen one fox in 4 years on trail cams. I took care of most of the raccoons in the fall and winter. I'm sure more will move in but will deal with them as well

4. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Cut willow tree branches and stick them in the mud along the shoreline. I have heard it works with buttonbush but have never tried. Seems to work best when the williw is dormant. This still will not provide enough for this year unless you go crazy with it. Emergent aquatics would be your next choice.

5. bbfky

Clayton, thanks I don't think we have willows on the farm but do have a big one in our front yard , maybe my wife won't notice if I cut a few branches off LOL
    I'm assuming they need to some place to hide under we have a couple of floating duck tubes that could provide a lot of shelter they are about 4-5 long and are floating on a platform, I don't think any mallards are going to use them the geese are territorial with the Mallards but not the wood ducks they hang out together it's kind of funny to watch how they are buddies

6. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

They need overhead cover from aerial predators or else they will not last long.

7. bbfky

My daughter came up with an idea to take some hog panels we already have brushed up for our pit and put them in the shallow end like a Teepee that should give them cover and a couple nice hiding spots. Thanks again for all the advice

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

If you have bass or turtles in your pond they can be very hard on the little guys.

double limit likes this.
  9. bbfky

I have trapped all the snappers, we do have a couple large bass just got to hope they like the bluegill, never caught one of the big ones on any top water only in the deepest area of the pond. All I can do is try and help out them out when they hatch whether it works or not time will tell

10. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Thanx for your concern and doing what you can.

double limit and bbfky like this.