Cover scents?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Interesting because I honestly have not had that reaction with deer - I hear what your saying - walk into your house and the wife has a cheesburger cooking - bamo your head is up. But I honestly can say - I have not had that High Alert reaction you are talking about. Have been filming in the treestand and have not seen the body language to indicate any disturbance -

2. Shocknawh

Shocknawh Senior Refuge Member

I like the earthscent. It smells like a garden freshly tilled up. The spray or the wafers. Put your clothes in a trash bag and put one wafer and tie up overnight.

3. Yager

Yager Banned

Hell, I like the earth scent too,I wish they made a candle for it and maybe one that smell like gun powder too. I think you would be better off putting your clothes in some fall leaves than a waffer. If you hunt on the ground, kick up some dirt with your heels to smell like a freshly tilled field.
    Deer smell differently then us...Stay away from the Hook, Line and Sinker!

4. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Maybe its me - but along the lines of hook, line and sinker - I am always amazed at the amount of tinks that flies off the shelf at this time. I admit I have tried it on multiple occasions in during the pre-rut, rut and post rut and never could say that it worked.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

That's because you would need a gallon jug of it splashed around everywhere to even remotely come close to the scent that a live deer puts off. Our rut is full swing right now and you can smell both the bucks and the in heat does plain as day when they're 50 yards upwind. You can't get that from a 2 oz bottle of old pee and most people only use it a few drops at a time because it's so expensive. :no

I use the scent away spray but I don't use a cover scent. Think about it, when you drop a monster load on the throne and then spray some of your wife's Glade in there, what does it smell like? A rose garden fertilized with ****. :l Your scent is still there even though there may be the smell of dirt or whatever mixed with it.

6. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

i still like using a drag rag with some WRC trails end 307... have had lots of deer come in on this.. otherwise, scent free shower, clothes and hunt high..
    i hunt suburban deer mostly and sometimes you can get away with a slight change in wind direction.. SOMETIMES