Covering The Hook

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Wood Duck, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Senior Refuge Member

What do you guys think... Some fishermen say you should cover the hook of your jig with bait or you will catch less fish, they can see the hook. Were talking panfish now.

------------------
    Will Hunt For Food

2. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Yes and no. I grew up hearing I had to cover the hook especially for trout. Most of the time I do, but especially when ice fishing I don't. I use glow hooks with magots. 60-70% of the hook shows and I catch lots of perch and trout. If fishing is slow I try to do a better job of covering the hook hoping that will help.

3. Krappie

Krappie Senior Refuge Member

That's a great question and it's one of those questions that may have many twists to it. I'm going to guess that if fish really could see your hook very well and knew how to differentiate between a hook they would be almost uncatchable. It would become a learned process through repetition and catch and release would become a threat to the sport. But we all know that, this is incorrect.

In fact if you thread a nightcrawler, grub, or plastic bait on a hook you're actually impeding the action of the bait. It appears more natural if the bait is floating and moving unhendered by the hook and will provoke more strikes than a threaded bait. I always hook a crawler throught the nose for bass and walleyes. And this is a sure fire way to hook into more fish then threading it on the hook to hide the hook. Bluegills and perch on the other hand are a different story. They are known nibblers and will surely clean your hook off before you realize that you even had a bite. It's because of their eating habits that you must thread a nightcrawler or worm several times to ensure that the fish won't steal your bait. If you're using leeches, don't hesitate on hooking throught the sucker just once. Leeches are hardy creatures and are very good at "staying on the hook." Anything that has minimal action and has a soft body or large size should be threaded to ensure the fish doesn't steal the bait(but this really only applies to fish that nibble such as panfish). If it's a hardy bait with alot of action. hook it once through the nose, collar, or dorsal and you won't go wrong. Actually the less you hook of a plastic worm and grub the better chance of provoking strike. I guess the bottom line is use only a hook large enough to ensure adequate hooking and don't worry so much about covering the shaft of the hook. But focus on how natural the bait appears in the water.

catch ya latter,
    Krappie

4. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Using a tiny jig or spoon most of the time for "Gills we just hook a Wax worm on the tip of the hook and let it dangle.
    If that doesn't work we go to Mousies as they're smaller.
    If THAT doesn't work we sit down on a bucket an' do a little "Jack" or Brandy...then go home and LIE about how many we caught!!HAR!

5. goosaholic

goosaholic Guest

i put on 3 diff clored eorolarvaes on the little jig,,, works for me honkiller-f