coyote ammunition question

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I set out a pile of waterfowl carcasses I had cleaned from the last two weekends on my Gfs land which has plenty of coyotes. I places them at the base of a steep hill and i made a natural blind at the top of that hill. so i can walk up one side quietly and slip into the blind and maybe peak over and down to see if anything is at the pile. it is about 30 yards down to the pile from the blind.. I am wondering if i take my 3.5" 12 guage, whats the best shell? or what shell will work? would a black cloud load of 1.5 oz of bbs at 1500 fps be a stopper load?.... I am not 100 % sure...I also have a 222, but I cant be quick if spotted, and there is small brush here and there id have to aware of on the center fire. the pile is at the edge of a swamp....so its kinda thick down there...but it makes the coyotes more at ease i figure.

what about the limit for the 12 gauge to dropp a dog at 30-40 yards..

thanks

bob

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Regular 3" turkey loads of #4s have never failed me to 40 yards. That being said, I'd generally like some some lead #1s-BBB, but some folks prefer bigger. I haven't had a chance to use the HS dead coyote/T's, yet, but seems like a great concept. I've never had a chance to shoot one with a shotgun past 50 yards, but shot a pile of them inside that with everything from #4 buck down to 20ga #8 dove loads, and they all died right there. You could always carry two guns, and keep the shotgun as the primary, and your .222 or whatever as a backup for any long shots you might get. I just hunt them throughout the southeast, so my methods and preferences will be different than many in other regions.:)...we used to shoot a lot of them over dead chickens at around 50 yards with #4 buck. I might have used some 0 or 00 buck years back, but I can't recall...but (again), I've never had one leave after being hit from 50 yards an in, with any 12ga load I've tried.

3. Bob Johnson

so the black cloud 3.5" BBs should be fine in steel...its fast and the pellets are quite a bit larger than #4s.....

I am amazed your drop a coyote with #4 at 40 yards.....these dogs are going up to 75 lbs!! they are as big as my labs......maybe the fur is thicker...

I shot a 70LB male about 20 years ago in CT...

I havent seen any of these animals, but i can hear them and see their droppings , so i know they are there.

bbad bad bob

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I'd be more concerned with the density of the steel BB's, than the size of pellet, for penetration. I once dropped a 57# 'yote in the middle of a very active dove shoot field, with a 20ga and 2 3/4" #8s at a measured 32 yards, with a head shot from a skeet2 tube in a Browning Light Twenty....now, I did double tap him, on principle, but the first shot stoned him. I've smoked a lot of them at 40-45 yards and in with copper plated 4's, (and even 5's and 6's), and turkey chokes. I ain't scared to shoot'em more than once, but never had to....had one jump and run past me from 40 yards, and die ten yards behind me.:nutz Now, I still think your 3.5" BB steel load might be on par or better than those 4's, and hevishot BBs would be killer...the further that steel gets out there, the quicker it slows down.:)

5. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

years ago I kilt a blind scrawny yote at 40 yards with a dove load.

Fed 7.5s from walmart.

I think if your gun patterns decent, the goose load your shooting may kill it...be prepared to shoot again.

I would deff take the .222 with in case of a hit and run.... then you tap him at a 100 or as far as you can shoot.

If you do use the BB's, please let u snow how it does!

6. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

One thing you need to know is always have the wind in your face or blowing crossways when going to that blind or the coyotes will know your coming befor you even get close....never have the wind at you back.

Good luck.:tu

7. Bob Johnson

thats a given.... this spot is pretty good to sneak up on..its a ridge line and i am coming up one side to the ridge and the bait pile is at the bottom of the other side...so the morning thermals should lift my scent right off and up from the ridge..and in the afternoon, nothing should smell me till i clear the rise!! where my blind is.... as long as i am quiet....I should be good

nothign there this morning....but there is about 1000 acres of continuous open land, so it might take a week or more before the yotes find the bait...

while i dont think ill be able to enter it, there is a nice coyote derby going to start next friday for 2 and a half days...$35 to enter. every coyote brought in for weighing wins the hunter $100!!

and the biggest coyote of the 2.5 days....wins $2000!

the problem is they want the form and cash by monday afternoon...and they are 2 hours from my house... lady doesnt want me to show up with the cash, she wants me to mail a check!!

bob