Coyote Hunt

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Muddawg, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Muddawg

Muddawg Elite Refuge Member

Snowmobile...Dont look like were going this weekend do to lack of snow...:(

2. 4 BUCK

4 BUCK Senior Refuge Member

I thought you must be useing snowmobile's. You had better read the South Dakota hunting handbook and also hope that someone does not call TIPs and report you. On page 30 it reads "No person may use a snowmobile to chase, haras or disturb ANY wild animal". I would not be to proud of your so called hunting pictures. This kind of stuff is what makes it hard for guy's who are trying to hunt coyotes!

3. take EM' close

take EM' close Senior Refuge Member

Not sure about in SD.....but I thought that you can with predators...even though is does say ANY, I didn't think predators are considered under that..... and as long as you're not spotlighting.....may be wrong though. :confused:

4. 4 BUCK

Coyotes are wild animals in South Dakota.

5. laboholic

laboholic Senior Refuge Member

Guys run them all the time with pickups loaded with greyhounds around here. They simply drive through cover, and when they get up they chase them until they are close enough for the dogs to get on them. They just pull a cord and dump the dogs and let them finish it. Now I am not saying I am for this type of hunting, but it isn't illegal. Why is it any different with a snowmobile? I am just asking. Maybe it is different in KS.

6. nemont

nemont Elite Refuge Member

4 Buck,
    You are 100% wrong. Coyotes in South Dakota are classed as predator/varmits without limits or seasons and not wildlife. In fact the only real restriction is that you cannot hunt them with an artificial lights of any kind but can hunt them at night.
    http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/hunting/Coyote.htm

This is taken directly from the South Dakota Fish and Wildlife page.

I think you owe muddawg an apology for being the ethics police and being wrong.

Call your local game warden and he or she can set you straight.

Nemont

7. 4 BUCK

nemont, you are correct that you can shoot predators out of a vehicle if you have permision form the land owner that the predator is on. I have the 2005 hunting and trapping handbook in front of me right now and it says on page 30 under vehicle restrictions " No person may use a snowmobile to chase HARASS or DISTURB any WILD ANIMAL". A snowmobile is in it's own classification for this reason. What is going on here is that a snowmobile is being used to drive up and down the sections DISTURBING WILD ANIMALS so that they run to people with guns around the section. The State Waterfowl Biologist who was a Conservation Officer for many years says that using a snowmobile for this purpose is illegal. On the same page it says " No person may use a moter vehicle to chase, harrass, intercept, pursue or disturb big game, small game or migratory birds " do you see the difference, no predators but it is not a snowmobile they are talking about. I hope that if you come to South Dakota you understand the laws a little better. If you would like I can fax you a copy of page 30.

8. dukhunter28

dukhunter28 Senior Refuge Member

Ok but what about the fox! :fp That is not good hunting ethics if you have to resort to using snowmobiles or atv for that matter.I will be impressed with kills if you spot & stalk them on foot or call them in.

9. nemont

nemont Elite Refuge Member

4 Bucks,
    Is it available online so I can read it? If not fax me a copy of the page because I have gotten a different answer from your Fish and Game dept. regarding Coyote hunting.

Nemont

10. BOWSTAFF

BOWSTAFF Senior Refuge Member

Muddawg,
    I can't tell you if it's legal or not, I'm sure you thought is was or you would'nt have posted it. I think you said these were your first yotes, so if you truly enjoy hunting you should at least get yourself a good call and try to fool ol' wiley. I think you would find calling, glassing, and hunting a lot more rewarding. You obviously have coyotes where you are so just try it, get a good video, read a few articles, get a good call and try fooling them. The harder you have to work for it the sweeter it is. Good luck

The new American Hunter Magazine has a really good articles on coyote hunting.