Coyote problems

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by cholt, Jan 31, 2018.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I’m in north Alabama and my game camera on one of my fields will send pics of deer then next coyotes running them off field there is one less as of this evening just wondering if any of y’all have issues with them running your deer and keeping them scared to come out on fields had four come out after dark and got one so hoping I scared them off for a while.wondering how y’all control them

2. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

We got 'em down here in East Alabama. I have a fox pro call that I use some....killed 3 with back in the fall. Also, take a thick sponge like you wash vehicles with..cut into about 2.5" squares...soak in sardine/fish oil....tie 4 lb. mono on it and hang from tree branch. They eat it and can't pass it so they get compacted and die.

3. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

4. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

When I'm seeing coyotes regularly on my place, I don't see many, if any, deer. Since I whacked 2 yotes in two weeks, the deer are coming around several evenings a week. I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

5. cholt

Shoot who needs that lol

6. cholt

Saw a video where coyote crap had big chunks of sponge in it so not sure it will work.thinking about setting snares and hunting them here soon.

7. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

Try 50# spiderwire and a treble hook in the sponge ... I've been told that works well too:rolleyes:

8. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I use Road Runners

9. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

Get a hold of a trapper in your area. Someone who knows what they are doing will thin them out quickly.

BirdJ, creedsduckman and hobbydog like this.
  10. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

You will never win. Accept them. They aren't going anywhere and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Coyote removal, understory cover, and survival of white-tailed deer neonates

Despite an initial increase, the overall effect of coyote removal on neonate survival was modest. Mortality rate attributable to coyote predation was lowest during the first removal year (0.357) when survival was greatest, but the mortality rate from all other causes did not differ between the pre-treatment period and any year during removals, indicating that coyote predation acted as an additive source of mortality. Survival probability was not related to vegetation cover, either directly or in interaction with coyote abundance. When the objective is to increase the recruitment of white-tailed deer, we conclude that neither coyote control nor vegetation management appear effective. Reduction of the antlerless harvest may be necessary to meet this objective, but this harvest strategy warrants additional research in Southeastern deer populations.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.764/abstract

hobbydog and darkvibe like this.