Coyotes with a .17

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Diver Dan, May 10, 2010.

1. Diver Dan

Diver Dan Elite Refuge Member

Anyone use a 17 cal on coyotes? I'vs shot 2 so far, they hit the ground like a ton of bricks but it doesnt seem to kill them. I lost both of them. I used 17 grains for the first one and then 20 grains for the second. Like I said, when hit they go right down and when I go out to get them...they're gone! Thinking maybe I need to look into a .243 cal. Any thoughts?

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Your experience says it all, now the question is, do you save the fur??

If not, then you can really go as big as you want, they can't be too dead. This is also an opportunity to buy a combination gun, say you are planning an elk hunting trip, for which you will need a new gun. Something like a 300wsm is great, good trajectory if you find yourself looking long range, it'll kill the elk, and sure isn't going to have problems taking down a coyote.

Using this gun for coyotes will get you trigger time, and trigger time in the field, very valuable if you find yourself facing a difficult shot on a once in a lifetime sized bull.

If you just want a great coyote killer, you don't save fur, the 243 is great, 2506 is another good round. If you want the fur, 223, 22 250 seem to be the two most popular rounds.

If you really want the ability to reach out there, perhaps a 270wsm, or a 7mmwsm is in your wheelhouse, a caliber that will give you the longdownrange energy to anchor the beast, again not being fur saving rounds.

Many, Many possibilities depending upon what it is that you are looking for, and if you would like this new fire stick to be a combo gun for multiple species.

3. blklabs2

blklabs2 Senior Refuge Member

I have shot lots of coyotes with my 17head and chest shot all dead dogs, yea bigger is better but the price of furs ???? we have a lot of mange still here, ive also shot several bobcat with the 17 no pelt damadge at all, place your shot they will kill them hit them poorly and no matter what thier shot with youll lose them!!!!!

4. REDGUN

REDGUN Senior Refuge Member

Rimfire or centerfire?

5. Diver Dan

I am not interested in keeping the hides. I raise deer and they pull the fawns through the wire and run my does down, they completely strip them down in one night. But I also do not want anything to suffer, I want an ethical kill shot. Not much room to shoot big cartridges in Indiana, thats why the .243 or 22-250 would be a good round I believe. Guess i have another excellant reason to buy a new gun. Hehe

6. MDcanvasback

MDcanvasback Elite Refuge Member

either shoot em in the ear or eye OR get a bigger caliber

7. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

I'am guessing rimfire and he said he was useing a 17 gr. bullet.:fp

Get the old 17 Remington or the new 17 Remington Fireball if you going to shoot coyotes...The 17 HUM just not up to the job past 50 to 75 yards out.

Now we will hear from all the 17 HUM user who will say they can kill a coyote out to 600yds with their little chipmonk gun.

8. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

Use the 20 grain bullet and keep your shots under 100 yards, and the .17 will kill them. With the accuracy of the .17 HMR, head and neck shots only are not a problem under 100. Problem is, you're not going to drop them in their tracks.

That said.....I shoot a .243 Win loaded with the 55 grain Winchester Silvertips, and that most def will drop them in their tracks. :tu

9. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

For saving the fur, my choice is a .17 Remington centerfire round. I think it's about a 25 gr. bullet, but don't recall for sure.

If you don't care about the fur, a .223 or .243 is fine and dandy.

If I was raising deer and they were stealing the fawns, I think I might even line the outside of the pens with 'Claymores'... :yes

10. Diver Dan

I have been looking around, checking balistics a little and decided to go with the .223 They not only steal my fawns, they take down the does and devour them in one night. That .17 is very accurate and deadly and if i were set up with the ability to only take head shots it would be no problem, but thats not the case. Some great discussions though, thanks.