Coyotes with a .17

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Diver Dan, May 10, 2010.

1. blackfoot1

blackfoot1 Elite Refuge Member

Shoot em' with the 17hmr and let em run off...That way you don't have to worry about the disposal yourself(don't give me any crap about humane, blah blah blah)......its too light to take em' down..go to a .204, .22-250, or .223...Later, B

2. OLDUCK1

OLDUCK1 Moderator Moderator

Dan:

I was in the same place you are as too what to use for coyotes here in Indiana. As you know I'm too old to run them down after the shot or go lookin for them.:l I chose 243 with Hornady 58 gr V-max. No chasin or lookin far for them, no savin fur though. Also can go up in bullet weight and take Deer and antelope.

3. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Sound like you want something like a 300 Win. Mag. where the fur come to rest in another Zip Code.:dv

4. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

my .204 is very accurate and dumps em pretty solid with the 40 gr V-max....i'd highly recommend it for yotes. .223 with 55gr vmax does perty darn good too:tu

5. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

exactly. the objective was met, those songdogs are dead.

6. dekechukin'

dekechukin' Senior Refuge Member

Maybe you should have done a little research before using a gopher gun to body-punch a 30-40 pound dog.:scratch I don't care how many of your deer they killed, they deserve a quick death like any other critter.

How many more guys are gonna buy a .17hmr "cuz their buddy said it will cut those little varmints in half" and expect that little 17-gr. V-max to kill a yote when u punch it in the shoulder:no:doh

What you described is the "splash" effect observed on larger varmints when shooting light V-max or similar bullets at high velocities. They simply blow up on the surface, causing a superficial flesh wound without any vital damage.

If you really want to shoot yotes with a rimfire, try a .22 mag with 30-40gr. HP's or similar. U don't need 2500 fps to kill a yote under 100 yards, but you do need a decent bullet that can penetrate.
    And don't buy into the myth that the .17hmr is magically more accurate than most other varmint cartridges........it is simply faster than most at close ranges(<150 yds) b/c of the tiny bullets.

For most people/scenarios, the most practical yote cartridges are the .223 or .22/250. If your shots will be under 300 yards, you're prolly better off saving money on ammo & going with the .223.
    As others have said, if you want some practice with your deer rifle and don't care about saving fur or recoil issues, just stick with your deer cartridge.

The .204 is a nice little round, and has less recoil than most of the .22 cal centerfires. But i've talked to several yote hunters who have experienced the "splash" effect with this round, even shooting the 40gr. vmax bullets. If you don't reload, i would forget about the .204.......the factory offerings are limited & much more expensive than .223 ammo.

7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

A whole lotta truth in that post.
    I have killed a yote with a .17, but it was on a post and drive hunt, and i was carrying a .17 pump rossi w/open sights for close in work only because i had gone through all my shot gun loads that day. i will say, at 20 feet, 2 rounds of vmax in the neck of a yote is gross to look at. :eek: a .17 is not a caliber i would ever consider taking anything larger than a wood chuck with if beyond 50 yards. now days, i just keep it simple and carry my .270 rem for everything; deer/varmits/predators. at least until my AR gets built.

8. Diver Dan

Diver Dan Elite Refuge Member

Well dekech, I do care how many deer they kill and I do agree that every critter deserves a quick death...tell my does that when they are being drug down by their hind end and more dogs chewing at their throat and screaming until they cant fight anymore..I've seen it and at that time, I just dont care much. I asked for a little advice to try to remedy the problem. Im doing that, but until then I will shoot them with whatever gun I can grab. Sorry if this dont set too well with you. I think that a good head shot with the .17 will be more than enough to do the job, I was just unable at the time to make that shot. And guess what, they havent been back since that last shot, as far as I know! Thanks

9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

you don't really mention yardage, but for closer in work a 12 ga with 3 or 5 rounds of 00 buck and a tight choke works pretty slick and you can often roll a couple b/c of the quick follow up shots available.

Now is the time to be out there smokin' the pups - they aren't too bright yet and will only get harder to call in and trick.

10. dekechukin'

dekechukin' Senior Refuge Member

IMHO, the sob story about your deer doesn't give u the right to go around crippling predators. I don't go around plinking fox in the azz just cuz they murdered my uncle's prize leghorns in cold blood:no

To me, the irony of your plight is that those yotes you body-punched will prolly be back next year after their flesh wounds heal & they become bold again:doh........that is if they escape infection & a prolonged death that will take several days or weeks. Your deer suffered for what........5 minutes:scratch

Nobody goes elk hunting with a .223.......i just don't understand why so many people think the HMR is such a bad little round.
    Bottom line, get yourself a real predator gun and put down some dogs so you can have the satisfaction of making a swift kill & helping your herd at the same time:tu
    BTW, spaight was right on with the shotty suggestion if you are talking close range........except i would recommend #4 buck.