Coyotes with a .17

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Diver Dan, May 10, 2010.

1. Joey

Joey Elite Refuge Member

I've seen two coyotes w/an hmr, both headshots at less than 100yds. If I've got a 17 on hand and see a coyote at a reasonable range, its getting shot.

Will it kill one? Yes

Is it optimal? No

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I love my .17 HMR and have made some amazingly long shots with it, but I would not use it on a coyote I wanted to recover. I have shot and not recovered 1 coyote, 1 badger, and 2 coons. It will hit them and knock them to the ground, then they get up and run off.

That being said, I will continue to shoot it for crows, rabbits, squirrels, etc..... knowing that it will whack them dead out to 250 yards.

3. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

The one thing that would help the 17 HMR for coyotes would be a heaver bullet like a 25 gr. hollowpoint.

4. dekechukin'

dekechukin' Senior Refuge Member

That would help.......I just don't see why everybody thinks the HMR is such a miracle-worker:confused:
    If u want a hot rimfire, but have ANY intentions of shooting yotes or other varmints you are much better off with a .22 mag..........30 gr. V-max or HP for the little stuff, 40 gr. HP's for yotes and such.
    30 gr. outta the .22 mag starts almost as fast as the 17 gr. from the HMR, and will maintain velocity better downrange.

Speed means nothing if your bullet is too light/fragile to penetrate!!!

5. RPWIII

RPWIII Senior Refuge Member

Here in SC they have just passed laws to allow us to night hunt yotes and pigs BUT for yotes, it can't be anything larger than a 22 rimfire handgun. For pigs it must be a handgun with a barrel of 9" or less. Neither can have attached lights or scopes. They are worried about nimrods hunting deer under the auspices of hunting either of the other two.

Regarding the limit on 22 rimfire, our statehouse legislators had a few in their midst that did not understand what a rimfire was so the said we could not use centerfires. Go figure.

6. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Try out soem Hornady factory loads in 50 grain bullets. It will often shoot as well as hand loads. I have swtched to it exclusively in my .220 Swift for that reason.
    There will not be yotes running off after any halfway decent hit from a 50 grain .223.

7. howard s.

Now we're talking about the 22's:sp....For me it alway been the 55 gr. SP that been near and dear to my heart.:bow:bow:D:D:D

8. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

heavier bullets are not the answer as they kill with speed. the .17hmr is ok as is a .22 for head shots that are close,but by no way is it a 100yd double lung gun.

as for the .17rem it is a great gun for yote size game under 150yds. there is a small caliber news letter that i believe is called "small bore news" have to look it up but they have had several great stories on the .17rem and yotes. after reading them i switched to 19gr berger bullets and have had much better performance on foxes and turkeys.

9. howard s.

Can you break that down a little better?

You went from shooting coyote to shooting foxs and turkeys all at once.

What do you use on coyotes?

10. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

let me clear it up a little. i read the article on the 17rem. the article centered around the 17 and a guy that shot 70 some odd yotes and a number of foxes. it stated he used and got better performance out of the 17 with the 19gr berger bullets driven faster.

after reading it i bought some shells loaded with the bullets as i dont have the patience to reload myself. the effectiveness is much better then i was getting. after shooting a bunch of ground hogs , a few foxes and 2 turkeys i also found the lighter bullets to "kill" better.

i live where we can hunt turkeys with rifles most rifles are just way to destructive to use on turkeys even the 204 ruger "blows then up", and on the other end the .22lr .22mag and the .17hrm will kill them but also
    wound/cripple alot of birds

this load out of the .17rem is about perfect right in line with the hornet, bee, and 25-20

sorry if the other post was mashed together and confuseing hope this clears up what i was trying to post in a hurry.