Coyotes with a .17

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Diver Dan, May 10, 2010.

1. dekechukin'

dekechukin' Senior Refuge Member

Back when we had a lot of fox & the fur market was good, the .17 Rem was a very popular round...........very fast, plenty of punch, and those little bullets rarely leave an exit hole.
    You rimfire guys think the HMR is fast...........it's hard to beat a vapor trail outta the .17Rem on a cold winter morning:yes

The controlled expansion on those Berger's is great for large varmints in the small caliber/HV cartridges like the .17Rem & .204..........they cut a nice deep wound channel, and don't cause the superficial "splash" effect experienced with the more fragile and explosive bullets like the Vmax.

I would say the .17Rem is a little light for an all-around yote gun.........but like you said, it is plenty if you pick your shots & stick to reasonable ranges. Definitely more room for error than with your gopher gun.........I mean....... HMR:fp

Always wanted to plug a turkey at 400 yards:D

2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

What we have here is the old 45 V 9MM argument.

Heavier bullet VS lite high speed bullet.:nutz

Where do you shoot a turkey with a 17?? In the head?
    Seem like shooting one in the breast would leave only drum sticks to eat.

3. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

Right above the beard, in the neck. Most .17 bullets (centerfire or rimfire) are highly frangible, unless you're shooting solids or FMJ's. Little hole going in and, most of the time, no hole coming out. If you shoot it above the beard, you are in the widest part of the neck and above all the meat you eat. Misses are clean, hits are final.

Here's what a .17HMR looks like at 100 yards through a golf ball. I figure it came out because a golf ball is so dense. Flesh and bone wouldn't quite react that way.

Entrance:
    [​IMG]

Exit:
    [​IMG]

4. Diver Down

Diver Down Senior Refuge Member

sounds to me someone needs to fix his fencing so the yotes cant get in to the fawns. it also sounds like if he has that many yotes, he needs to find a trapper in the area to take them out. a good trapper will take out way more then anyone will shooting them.:nutz

shooting them and letting them run off is not the answer, that only gives the anti's more fuel to help end all hunting. some of you guys really need to think before you post. How many of you shoot a duck just to let it sail away?????????????????????? probaly everyone that said shoot the yote and let it run way:doh. its no difference.

5. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

Please don't take my post as a proposed justification for using a .17HMR on coyotes, as I think it's a little light and have already said as much. I'm more in the "if it's the only thing you got, it better be a great shot" category.

As I said earlier, "2-4-3", works for me. :yes

6. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

yeah that was my point the 17rem leaves about a nickle sized hole same as the hornet, bee and 25-20, i shoot above the breast if its head on but i normally wait for a side shot and shoot where the wing bone meets the body

i have always wanted to try the 5mm rem rimefire on a turkey as i think it would be an amazing turkey gun, or reload a custom round i came up with

i am thinking with all the great 20cal bullets out now if i sharpened the shoulder and necked down the 25-20 to 20cal it would be a fabulous turket round i want to call it the 20-20gobbler

we could argue bullet weight vs.speed all year you will always have keith fans and weatherby fans, but for me its null and void. for me it more a matter of what u want to do and the caliber
    the 17 kills with speed, and 45-70 with heavy bullets all a matter of what you are useing and how your hunting

7. Diver Down

Diver Down Senior Refuge Member

I don't.

I have shot yotes with a 22lr at point blank range only to have the slug go zinging thru the woods after bouncing of the skull, and the yote just stands there and looks at me:scratch. thats when i run traps. now I shoot them in the chest.

now for hunt/shooting them, its either the 22-250 or the 17fireball.;)

8. fishn

fishn Elite Refuge Member

Dan, you may have already bought a gun, but if not, have you thought about using your shotgun and deer slugs? It's Indiana, most of us can't justify buying a deer gun when we can't use them on deer. Back when I used to deer hunt, my smoothbore with a scope was accurate to 100 yards off a rest. That was an unrifled barrel too. Might save you some money using what you've got. It's not as cool looking as a 6x18 scoped varmint rifle, (did you see the Gun Nuts show the other night about the Savage that had almost unbelievable accuracy, better than alot of varmint guns?), but the slug's range is alot less if you have neighbors nearby, and I have no doubt it will drop a coyote. Just more food for thought.