Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crab Orchard Goose Hunting

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Emmett Brown, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Emmett Brown

Emmett Brown Senior Refuge Member

Hayward, WI, but native Chicagoan - "Da Bears"
    Happy New Year all!

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic, so I'm inquiring as to the status of goose hunting in southern Illinois. I moved to nw WI about 12 years ago and I haven't hunted so. IL since 2000 or so (none of my old partners go down there any more either so they are clueless). I have heard that the so. IL quota zone is gone. Do any Canada's make it there at all any more? The clubs I use to hunt were: Bush's; D & M; Timberline/Chutes; Jake and Norbs; Ferrell's; Pikes and a few others. Of course, no trip to Marion was complete w/o a trip to Dunn's (and the obligatory call purchase - I still have all my Ken Martins and Grounds from that store). Eating fare: Little Egypt Smorgasbord east on 13; The Refuge just off the Interstate and 13 and, for something a little nicer, there was a decent restaurant in the square - Marino's maybe?

Anyway, just waxing a little nostalgic. Any updates would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BTW, I still get a little waterfowling in. The below is from this past November on a rice lake near Hayward, WI. Mud Callahan Nov 15-2.jpg

ixkaped2 and thebiggrfigr like this.
  2. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Keep your memories close because that's all that's left of what once was. The restaurants are all in the past replaced by chain venues. Pikes and Bush's are still trying to kill some birds mostly ducks. There hasn't been a blizzard big enough to chase the geese out of the comforts of Chitcago, WI, and N Il for years. Last big year was 2000. Dunns now has a Gander Mtn to compete with. You wouldn't recognize Marion.

3. Neckband4

Neckband4 Senior Refuge Member

Alot of us old timers have been there, done that on pretty much everything you listed. We predominately had success on our annual trip to Marion and it was great times that we continue to talk about and won't ever forget. We hunted at Crab Orchard Hunting Club which was Timberline prior to that. Steve Hahn, the founder of Crab Orchard has since passed away, as most know. In our early years there we hunted at Glen Lancasters club. The name escapes me but a bad draw in the morning would put you over lots of tire and plywood decoys. We had a hell of a great time down there.

DuckMonk and thebiggrfigr like this.
  4. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

I used to goose hunt down there also. Great memories and good times. Sportsman's club at Horseshoe !!! Haven't killed a goose down there in over 5 yrs. Still go for the duck hunting in January every year. Be down there the last 10 days of the SZ season in January. About as far south that the Geese get is Crab Orchard and that is only dependent on 6-8" of snow in Northern Il. They have always followed the snow line but to me, seem to be even staying closer to it. As soon as it starts melting back north they go.

metalworx likes this.
  5. Emmett Brown

Emmett Brown Senior Refuge Member

Hayward, WI, but native Chicagoan - "Da Bears"
    Rummaging through some hold pics produced this gem. Taken from pit #4 @ Timberline 12/90. Who ever said Canada's won't decoy to tires! The thing I remember best about those trips (besides the pit yucks and bouncing around Marion) was the almost assured snow/ice storm going up and down 57 - at least one way, many times both. Many white knuckles for sure and makes for some great stories now.
    Timberline Dec 90.jpg

Happy New Years all!

6. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for posting the picture:tu

7. Capt. Jack

Capt. Jack Elite Refuge Member

Hi, Emmett
    I do remember you hunting with me at D & M. I don't recall hunting with you at Jake & Norb's, but I left there in 1990 to hunt with Doc & Marc in January of that year.

Cap

8. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

Capt. could write a book...or THE book about the old SIQZ I'm sure. That area is what made me fall in love with goose hunting. My life has pretty much revolved around it since.

9. Fullbored

Fullbored Elite Refuge Member

Been seeing a few migrators come in last few days . Club has killed a few but nothing to write home about .

hopefully I get on a few good goose hunts before its all said and done

10. BWP 5p

BWP 5p Refuge Member

Honkers Heaven? Weren't they the closest to the Refuge? We started chasing the Geese down there in 1972. Weeks vacation, slept on the ground in Cambria Neck to save our spots. The frustration of the Draw on Crab, Sawmill (?) Island! Lot's of fond memories of Southern Ill.

DuckMonk likes this.