Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crab Orchard Goose Hunting

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Emmett Brown, Dec 29, 2015.

1. cornbuzzzard

cornbuzzzard Senior Refuge Member

20160122_205034.jpg

metalworx likes this.
  2. cornbuzzzard

Niska farm rend lake
    20160122_205057-1.jpg

metalworx likes this.
  3. cornbuzzzard

Remember this SOIL postcard
    20160122_210758-1.jpg

metalworx likes this.
  4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

IMG_0031.JPG

5. Emoo

Emoo New Member

Yep Dog those are Charlie's calls I only bought 1 call from him the bottom one.. Then started using Olt's tuned by Tim..Then once the Half Breed was made it was ALL Over for flute calls they could Never make all the notes nor be able to crack a note like the Half Breed oh and Volume

6. Emmett Brown

Emmett Brown Senior Refuge Member

Hayward, WI, but native Chicagoan - "Da Bears"
    scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg

Top pic is Bush's front field and the middle pic is from Bush's back field, which in my opinion, was the best - even though his front two pits bordered on the refuge. The back field got even better once the pond back there was built/expanded - late '80's? These pics are from 12/85. The bottom pic was from Timberline 12/88.

The Joy dog food sign in the background brings back memories. I believe Boogie (sic) was a distributer of Joy.

I have hunted waterfowl from Alberta to the Laguna Madre in Mexico (and everywhere in between). Of all the places I used to go, I believe I miss Marion and CO the most.

metalworx likes this.
  7. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

I did about the same thing except I tuned my own A-50s. Then Grounds Guides Best in ABS plastic then his Graphite flutes. First short reed was Knight & Hale Magnum Clucker. Easy on air and loud. Probably called just as many geese with that $15 call as the $150 calls I use now. I don't think I have the air for a flute call anymore, at least not for very long.

8. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

This thread made me get out my old photo album and my shoe box of calls from S. IL. Modified Olt flutes including a Gary McCree, Grounds Variable Tone and Guides Best, Ken Martin goose and duck calls, Joe Jarowski flute. I hunted Crab from 88-98. I never hunted clubs but hunted plenty of public and had a couple very good private spots. I miss those days.

9. Travelinghunter

Travelinghunter New Member

Just returned from our annual trip to horseshoe. I gotta say the south side is a disaster after that last flood. Large trees everywhere and even a garage in the middle of Miller city road. Made the trip to ouitas a few times. I never got to hunt around horseshoe in the hay day but I imagine it would have been quite the site to see all the geese swimming through the cypress.