Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crab Orchard Goose Hunting

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Emmett Brown, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

I Hunted at Miller-Grace and Blakemore's ( mostly ). Hunted Run-n-Lake and was glad to meet Paul Morgan.
    Def. remember eating at the Goose Pit and hearing the geese all night. As a young kid I couldn't believe it and was always excited for the wake up in the morning.
    Had a few Beer's at Sleepy's later in years.

2. Emoo

Emoo New Member

Anybody ever buy a call from a guy named Charlie Bishop they where carved woodin looked like Olt A-50 before Tim Grounds started tuning the Olt's calls...Charlie was always down at Horse shoe he was a Preacher and would never walk into the Goose Pit..

3. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Funny...,im in a boat blind with Jack and Gen Thomas' son right now. I do know that Jack wasn't from St Louis though

p

4. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

My mistake he was a Mason or Shriner?

5. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

I bought one of Charlie's calls, lost it years ago, wish I had taken better care of it. Charlie was involved in B & C hunting club (Bishop & Cain - with Collins brother Hugh).

6. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

The Thomas's I was talking about must be a different bunch.
    Mr.Thomas's name was Orville and I can't for the live of me remember her name.
    Been to long ago for me to remember.

riverrat47 Ya I know what you mean about what happened down there.

Danny

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. randy merta

randy merta Senior Refuge Member

Was that bishop call made from a piece of bamboo cane? I remember someone making a call from cane.

8. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Demple was her name.... I bought their house in 2010. Now its been flooded twice since and not sure what I will do with it

9. Emoo

Emoo New Member

No Randy it was wood what type I have no clue. My mouth piece is cracked and tone board an reed missing. Must of lost on a hunt way back when..

10. Jeremy66

Jeremy66 Refuge Member

Even though I am not old enough to have hunted the SIQZ back when it was "goose heaven" I was still able to hunt down there with my dad in the mid 90's. Obviously it wasnt what it was before but I can still remember all the excitement. We hunted at Country Kitchen and I can still remember the huge spread of decoys, most of which were shadows. We were able to kill a few and I thought it was great, couldnt wait to go back. I was down in Marion last summer and drove by a few of the clubs, Grounds, Burns, Glens, and Country Kitchen. Now it all is just a thing of the past, but I would sure love to go back and hunt one more time if they ever get even a few birds.