Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crabs expensive!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joe117, Jul 4, 2009.

1. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

St Mary's newspaper Enterprise had a front page article talking about crab prices over the July 4th weekend.
    $150 to $165

They said it was because the crabs were scarce.

Crabs scarce? Imagine that??..

Time to shut this thing down.

2. ButtonBuck

ButtonBuck Elite Refuge Member

If you have a Facebook account and look under the Maryland Blue Crab page, you'd be amazed with some of the stuff you read. How much people in AZ pay for a dozen crabs over the internet to have them shipped.

I think there's a lot of parallels between what's going on in the crab industry and what was going on with oil last year.

3. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

I call it Highway Robbery! Or should I?

You can still, to this day, go to the docks around Galveston Bay in Texas or most coastal estuaries in the area and pick up a bushel for around 10 bucks from the Vietnamese Shrimpers. Hell, they throw most of them back! They pick them up dragging for shrimp.

I have considered many a time to buy a truck and make a weekly run down there and then make a mint up here. Their not as tasty as the Crabs up here but the same species and once drenched in Old Bay like you folks up here like, who the hell could tell the difference?

Diz

4. portahunter

portahunter Elite Refuge Member

Since Hurricane Ike the number of blue crabs in the marshes I fish and hunt has been extremely high. It's been nothing for me to go out and fill a 100quart ice chest full of nothing but male #1's. Talked with a crabber two weeks ago that go 30 boxes of crabs in just one day that week.

When I was visiting my mom's family back in her hometown in Maryland a few years back and saw how high the prices were then it almost made me consider becoming a crabber and shipping everything up there. I could make a killing.

Just one question. Do they sell them by the dozen or by the bushel up there? Can't quite remember.

5. Delaware Jim

Delaware Jim Elite Refuge Member

Both.

6. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

Crabs here in Maryland are sold by the dozen in restaurants.
    By the bushel and half bushel in a store or from the crabber.

The watermen will keep catching them till someone puts a stop to it. It?s a crime to let them continue while the catch numbers are lower than they have ever been in history.

7. GEORGE ZAHRADKA

GEORGE ZAHRADKA Elite Refuge Member

come and buy 10 doz corn ....lots of ol' bay....forget the crabs...buy veggies....:no

8. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Joe,
    Have you seen how many recreational crabbers are out there taking your crabs? Its unfair to place your blame upon the watermen alone. There's 10 recreational crabbers in my creek alone, selling their crabs and the NRP dock their boat at the marine they crab in front of.

160.00 a bushel for #1s on the 4th is a good deal, if you ask me.

9. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I know! I caught and ate the heck out of them when I was down this Spring! Flushing out the Red Tides, the better fishing and crustaceans are the one benefit of Hurricanes!

10. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

Just don't buy them. If everyone does that market will take care of problem...simply the real conservative approach