Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crabs expensive!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joe117, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MUDDYPATUX

MUDDYPATUX Elite Refuge Member

Chris

This time I agre with Joe . Compairing deer to crabs is not feesible.

The difference between a 5 1/4 inch male and a 6 inch male is only one more shed. No genetics involved at all. Deer antlers, yes, genetics is a factor.

All of joe's other reason are right on as well. One bushel big crabs would hold far fewer crabs than a bushel of #2's

Just leave them in the water a little longer. I would like to see "Buckram Crabs" outlawed as well. That'a what they used to call paper shells. I remember an old regulation outlawing them in Worcester county years ago. Throw him back, he will get hard in a few days

I like the 5 1/4 inch change. Erlich just paid back the waterman for bitching about the regulation. it just goes to show , many waterman are all about cathing and not about conserving. The only way to make rec or comm to conserve is to tighten regulations and put more NRP on the water. Until that happens the crabs will suffer.

I think the perch netters should throw back anything under 9" as well :p

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Muddy,
    You can compare crabs and any other creature on earth, just the same. The strong survive...with the best possible genes.
    Except humans, ofcourse (see Joe117 and anyone in the democratic party).

Still called Buckrams, slicks......I like to call em "Sqeezers".

3. GEORGE ZAHRADKA

GEORGE ZAHRADKA Elite Refuge Member

i SHOOT EVERY DEER I SEE.....AND THERE STILL PLENTY OF THEM RUNNING AROUND.....:dv

4. JohnnyR

JohnnyR Senior Refuge Member

Chris, the strongest crabs outfight others to get to baits -- that making them survive? :h

5. carolina girl

Im sure where food is scares it does.

When peeler potting, you dont put a small jimmie in the parlor, do ya?

6. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

Carolina Girl.... I give up on you.

Go catch what you want.
    I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

7. carolina girl

Your giving up on me???

It was your idea!!!:l

8. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

Yes, all creatures can respond to pressure through adaptation. But you're talking about "best possible genes", which is a "thousands of years" process, while the overharvest + pollution problem is a "dozens of years" process. Unlikely that any animals besides cockroaches, rats, and flies could keep up.

To that end, "the strong survive," but you're mis-identifying the "strong." The "strong" are not necessarily "physically" or "mentally" strong (in any species), but those who evade mortality before their maximum life expectancy - by whatever means available to them.

So let's review - what are two major causes of crab mortality in the Bay (and don't say natural predation - natural predation was addressed by the species millions of years ago via camoflauge and r-selected reproduction)

1) gradual, lethal exposure to water pollution (including inadequate oxygen)
    2) growing to a size legal for commercial or recreational harvest

So by your logic, the "strong who survive" will be dwarf blue crabs, tolerant of water pollution and low oxygen waters, who never grow to the minimum legal size, regardless of how old they get.

The watermen AND the recs will sure be doing great, once the Bay is full of 3 inch long mature crabs.

More likely, the "strong who survive" will likely be the Chinese Mitten Crab, the invasive Green Crab, and all the other critters who fill in the habitat vacuum of blue crabs - since we've done an outstanding job of removing the blue crab population, and poisoning the ones we can't remove.

9. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

I believe you meant to say "grammatical skills."

"Grammar" is a noun; unfortunately you used it as a descriptive adjective. You were looking for "grammatical."

Sorry!:flame

10. carolina girl

Im not really sure if this is "for" or "against" what I was elaborating. You quoted me, but proved my point. Anyway, I dont want to see a ban on any crabs, just reduction in harvest.....and more importantly, an overhaul of enforcement.