Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crabs expensive!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joe117, Jul 4, 2009.

1. berettafan

berettafan Elite Refuge Member

*** are you talking about?

commercial duck hunting was shut down by two things; greed and total disregard for the environment on the part of the commercial hunters and the availability of less gamy processed foods.

I'll say it again, there is no greater abuser of natural resources than commercial harvesters. Be it corn, chickens, crabs or ducks. Did we not learn our lesson with ducks? No, we have to bust our asses to kill a couple park mallards who took a wrong turn on their way to ocean pines yet as a group we deify the old 'outlaw gunners'.

2. va mountain hunter

va mountain hunter Banned

D'oh!

Hey, at least I'm capable of properly following a conversation.

3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

who deify's them? I sure dont!! I think they are pieces of crud...

Do you eat corn? Do You eat chickens?

dude do not put down farmers, they are the lifeblood of this country..

Eric you are an intelligent man, and should know that if early settlers did not learn how to cultivate corn,(jamestown) we would not have a country...

Commercial duck hunting has never been shut down... It was a goose season, and yes guides played a big role in that.

The season was not just shut down to commercial guiding, but to everyone. This is not what Joe said.

If commercial, or recreational harvesting of crabs is really destroying the resource that much, then yes shut it down. Let science show us that, not some guy who cant catch crabs or is complaining about waterman.

Joe, I have to hand it to you, while I do not agree with most of your points, you sure are good at sticking to them... and are probably one of the best discussers of subjects on this site.

I will say that if you are so sure there is such a problem with crabbing, why are you buying crabs? Why would you be part of the problem, and not part of the solution? Is it not a tad hypocritical to go on these yearly rants about crab numbers, or expense, when buying them from the evil watermen only helps to support them and their livelyhood?

If you cant catch crabs at your dock, go somewhere else...

You do realize that water quality changes, and I have heard that the bay is a lot fresher thi syear(good news for ducks) and the crabs are further south...

I have only crabbed a handful of times, but seem to catch plenty. Do I sit here and think that this means the overall crab population is strong? No, I am smarter than that. If I go to the same area and dont catch any, do I assume the overall population is declining? No, I am smarter than that.

Let science tell us, and if there is a serious problem, shut it down!!

A waterman I worked with had a good outlook on it, and maybe he is the minority. But his feelings were, if the crabbing starts getting too bad, we will quit til it comes back... That was the attitude a lot of them had, in fact most of them did quit doing it. Is this the norm? I doubt it, but they are out there everyday, and have been for years, they do probably have the best handle on whats going on, but will most of them be honest about it? Who knows....

4. berettafan

so long as we pay them and allow them to polute our water supply, rivers and bays.

yes, farms are a vital part of our independance on a global scale HOWEVER farmers are motivated by money. this translates into less regulation and more subsidies. ditto commercial crabbers and fishermen.

we recognize the need to produce our own food supply and the huge value of this. consequently we give farmers a lot of consideration and leeway. we allow them to spray godawful chemicals and give them all manner of tax benefits so we aren't forced to buy bread from China. it has nothing to do with the appreciation you and i have for how beautiful a field of winter wheat looks or the promise of dove on the grill that we sense when we see giant fields of sunflowers. It's about being as independant as possible in our food supply.

Crabbers, however, have no such value to us. The only value is to themselves. We do not need commercial crabbers to keep America self sufficient when it comes to food. We do not need them to continue to lease docks and buy crab boats and crab pots because those industries are relatively small and insignificant. Crab meat is not a staple like corn, soy and chickens. We can do without. Just like we can do without having wild duck available at restaurants and grocery stores.

5. berettafan

I think you are misinterpreting here.

Any that quit did so because they couldn't earn enough money. Had nothing to do with preserving the resource. They raped the resource so many times it couldn't sustain itself any longer so they moved on. There is no pride to be had in that.

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Eric, do you do your business for free?

I mean we could all use good tax or accounting advice, and since farmers are the only ones who are motivated in their line of work by money, I guess you will be cutting some of your accounting costs right?

How many farmers are selling their farms to developers? Are developers who use fertilizers or who install a bunch of septic tanks that leak into our water supply not motivated by money? Are they not responsible for any pollution?

7. berettafan

i'll answer your questions in order and hang up to listen to your responses...

-no
    -yes, we are cutting costs to stay competitive. of course we aren't using up a limited resource so not sure what that has to do with anything. you implied that watermen you know stopped out of the goodness of their hearts. i was supplying the counter argument that you are mistaken.
    -quite a few, look around you
    -yes, the concept of septic systems is driven by $$ and they are surely bad mojo (see De)

farmers aren't doing us a favor. it happens that we benefit in a somewhat indirect way from their livelihoods but that is not what gets them out of bed in the morning. it surely is the song they sing as they hold their hands out looking for more subsidies though.

but let's get back to the issue at hand and this is the crab resource. left to their own devices commercial crabbers will destroy the resource. small mindedness and greed are the hallmark of commercial harvesting operations.

the only thing i'd add at this point is there is some blame to share in regards to our game population decreasing and that is farming and development. both introduce unnatural things to the ecosystem (chemicals, non-permeable surfaces, etc etc) and have an impact on everything from ducks to rockfish to crabs.

8. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

"why are you buying crabs?"

I'm not buying them. I don't think I bought any last year either.
    I really like crabs but there is a limit as to what I think they are worth.

Hard crabs used to be like corn on the cob...just something that would appear when folks were sitting around on a Saturday afternoon.
    The cost was inconsequential…just as corn is today.
    That was the Maryland tradition…Brown paper on the table at home or in a crab house.
    People who knew how to pick them properly using a knife and the others who used one of those silly hammers smashing away.

When crabs cost enough so that some people have to think about the cost….that’s not the Maryland crab feast tradition I remember.

Something needs to be done to bring the crab numbers back.

9. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Look back in the history books, there used to be a thing called "market hunting". It was a commercial business where guys killed all kinds of game to supply to those that needed the meat. It got out of hand and sportsmen helped put an end to it. So, yes, that end of the commercialization of duck hunting was indeed shut down, however guides were still allowed to operate.

10. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

Scotty you would really like Walsh's "Outlaw Gunner" If you like you can borrow my copy.Talks abut the old days killing 200+ducks/night, stuff like that
    Jack