Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crabs expensive!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joe117, Jul 4, 2009.

1. pbramble

pbramble Elite Refuge Member

Scotty,
    the commercial hunters your talking about were guides, but if you read the outlaw gunner, you'll really see what "commercial gunning was". sneakboats with 5 -6 gun batteries, using live tollers, punt guns that used nuts and bolts for ammo and killed 200-500 birds with one shot. The guys who over hunted the canadas aren't even on the same playing field.

2. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Scott knows about market hunting, I was being a smartass.

Paul, I have always heard that they loaded up the punt guns with whatever, like you say nuts and bolts, but these ducks were killed for market. I have a hard time really believing people wanted to eat ducks with all kinds of trash injected into them. I wonder if this really happened and on what scale.

3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Bob are you speaking from experience about your impregnation statement?:l

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

By the way I broke down and baught a bushell of crabs this past week down in VA's eastern shore for $60 for #1's. Not the biggest crabs for #1's but the price was reasonable. I guess they don't have the supply and demand issues we have back here. I can't believe that all of the crabs caught be commercial guys are being baught or sold by the restaurants and seafood markets at the price they are going for. I wonder how many crabs die and get thrown in dumpsters? I know a lot of people have really cut back on buying crabs due to their price and economic situation we are in. The hell with $25 to 50 dollars a dozen or $175 to 210 a bushell for small crabs. Caught some flounder, croaker and some big arss sharks in the bay out in front of Cape Charles.

5. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

"Not the biggest crabs for #1's" are called #2s.....:l

6. GEORGE ZAHRADKA

GEORGE ZAHRADKA Elite Refuge Member

I was talking to the guys that buy sweet corn for there crab houses....they said about 20% dead loss......not chesapeake bay crabs ...I'm talking out of state stuff, they also said that the crabs around here are VERY hard to get.....

7. MUDDYPATUX

MUDDYPATUX Elite Refuge Member

That was setup line :dv

I knew some dirty mind would bite on it :joker

Takes one to know one :yes:p:yes

8. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

I did see a crabber unload 6 bushels at the old Boondocks dock at Taylor's Island on Saturday. I have no idea how hard or easy it was for him to get them.