Craigslist jewel

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by stevena198301, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

The premium for 4wd is negligible compared to the money wasted on buying new.

Tuleman likes this.
  2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I keep hearing people say that - the same people who every 2 years are trading to another used vehicle because the one they have is experiencing mechanical issues.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Interesting, I don't know many like that. I do know many who can't help their selves and trade in their 2yr old one they're upside down on in every few years because the new one has 2 more buttons on it. But they only buy 2wd, cause 4wd is just a waste of money. :yes

4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Ban this person from the forum. They can’t be a duck hunter. Fing liberal trolls

Tuleman likes this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Around here, 2WD pickups depreciate much faster than 4WD, especially in the first two or three years. Hardly anyone wants a two-wheel-drive pickup where I live. I have two old 4WD Chevy half-tons; one a 1984 and one a 2000. I just checked my maintenance log for last year, and I spent $35 for a new steering damper and $150 for a new starter for the '84, and $18 for a new steering column bearing plus $65 for an idler arm/bracket for the '00. Installed those items myself, so that was the total maintenance costs for each....and I would have had those expenses even if the trucks had been 2WD.
    I did spend just over $700 one year on the '84 to replace a broken U-joint and transmission tailshaft housing. You could consider this 4WD-related because it happened when I was out in conditions that I wouldn't have been in had the truck NOT been 4WD. :h
    If I was spending $2000/year on maintenance for either of those trucks, I'd sell them and buy something else.
    My insurance agent tells me there is no difference in cost between them and a 2WD. Now, I carry liability only and self-insure collision, but the difference in collision coverage between the two types is less than $50 a year.

I have a locker in the rear of both vehicles, and have been in two situations where I was going nowhere until I engaged 4Low; at which point I drove right out. Engaging 4WD is a LOT quicker, easier, dryer, warmer, and cleaner than trying to winch out of a mudhole or snowbank....especially in places where there is nothing to anchor a winch to (and there are plenty of those where I hunt).

Fuel costs? The difference between 16mpg and 18mpg in yearly fuel costs is not enough to offset the peace-of-mind that 4WD provides. Not for me, anyway.

Granted, these are NOT daily drivers, they are 90% used for hunting in the winter and hauling yard waste to the city compost yard in the summer. (I have two Grand Cherokees for DD use...and they are 4WD also. :yes I've owned them for 10 years and have had ZERO 4WD-related maintenance on either one.)

I think someone is overestimating the operating costs of a 4WD pickup vs. the same 2WD truck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    tcc likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’ve been driving 4WDs for 23 years now, and have only ever had one 4WD issue. T-Case chain broke, and did so due to the operator. We high centered on a stump, about 10 miles from anywhere, in a clear cut when I was 10. Not a tree to be had. My dad somehow both spun the truck around, and broke the stump off in one 30 minutes he’ll raising session. I inherited the truck years later, with a bad T-Case.

I’d love to see you get your 2WD down to the river bottom on my land. You better have one hell of a come along to get back up. Have fun carrying all that stuff the 1200 yards down and back up.

Tuleman and tcc like this.
  7. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

I wouldn't own a pickup without it being a 4x4.

Tuleman and warrenwaterfowler like this.
  8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I don't use my four wheel drive very often these days, but it's nice knowing that it's there if it's ever needed.
    I could get by with a 2x but the resale on a 4x4 is much better around here. That being said If I was going to own a 2x it for sure would have a posi or limited slip rear end in it.
    I had an old 1976 Chevy 2x with a posi rear end that truck went places that most people wouldn't take a 4x4. You just had to remember to hammer down and hold on when things got a little dicey. I beat the snot out of that truck and it was still running strong when I sold it, it had close to 400.000 miles on it.
    I loved that old truck it was a beast.