Crane Recipe - Skinned or plucked?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Call Turner, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Call Turner

Call Turner Senior Refuge Member

Does anybody have a good recipe for cranes and should they be skinned or plucked?

2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Like all birds with the skin on for roasting!!!! You'll probably get some smart *** answers about the cranes like they do with the snow geese! You will probably get some older ones like you do with geese but roasting mine, I start mine out at 400 degrees for about 20min. and then turn it down to 275 and baste once in a while. Cook until its still pink in the middle like all waterfowl should be!!! For a sauce I use a Cranberry, Apricot or an Apple one. The ones I have had or done myself, they tasted like dark meat on a turkey. YUM Good luck and enjoy.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

If you are doing them whole, then plucked.
    If you are breasting them out, see my recipe on the Speck thread I just posted.

BTW, I have cooked specks and cranes side by side, in Canada. Can't tell the difference. Both were GREAT. I am sure the location helps.

BirdJ likes this.
  4. sportnclays

sportnclays Refuge Member

There is no need to pluck a Sandhill. It has very little fat on the skin, and does (IMHO) not add any flavor. Here in Texas we fix them either chicken fry, (Ribeye in the sky), or on the grill with olive oil and seasonings. either way do not cook to long, just a few minutes either way. serve med rare. it may the best tasting bird that flys.
    (GrosBeck not withstanding)