Crappie are biting

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Kevin Burroughs, May 14, 2018.

1. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

DA39234F-DDDD-45E2-8348-F426D5649453.jpeg Best eating fresh water fish I know.

Salt Springs Valley.

2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

On light tackle that looks like a lot of fun. The catching part, not the cleaning part!

3. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Electric fillet knife and a slanted cleaning board and a couple of guys can clean 50 in about 20 minutes. I won't keep small ones, they are a pain to clean.

Pastor likes this.
  4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Used to catch tons back in Ohio fishing live shiners with fine wire hook and a split shot under a slip bobber. Fished the submerged willow lines in the spring at spawning time. Crappie in the spring out of cold water are good eating, but not as good as Walleye in my opinion.

5. dawgman

dawgman Elite Refuge Member

Caught many in MN using the same method. Great eating fish, but have to agree with walleye coming out on top!

6. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Haven't caught them in years. :(

7. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

Or yellow perch.Those Lake Erie sheepshead are the bomb:dv

8. California Flyway

Sad to say when I left Ohio, Lake Erie was so polluted that Sheepshead were about all that was left. Fought OK, folks did not eat them.

9. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Yellow perch for the win...

Flyfisher likes this.
  10. California Flyway

When I was real young my Dad and his buddies would charter one of the Lake Erie ferry boats. The Captains name was Sonny and he knew where to go to catch "Blue Pike" which are a Sauger like sub species to Walleye. Those were very, very fine tasting. Perch not even close. There used to be a commercial fishery on Erie for Blue Pike, but the pollution ruined it. Restaurants always had Blue Pike on the menu and folk would put on deep fry, Blue Pike feeds. Not sure if that fishery ever recovered after Lake Erie cleaned up.
    I just looked up Blue Pike they were considered unique to Lake Erie and they were declared extinct in 1975. However biologists have found some in some northern Ontario Lakes and are considering reintroduction into Lake Erie.

Concerning Crappie, by far the biggest ones I ever saw were in California at San Vicente Lake. You could catch them trolling lures. Some weighed over two pounds.

Last edited: May 14, 2018