Crappie Jig

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by fireduck, Apr 2, 2014.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

What is your favorite crappie jig for spring time crappie? I fished today and caught a few small ones on minnows. Another guy was using a jig and catching the bigger crappie, he did not catch many either. I might try the jig next time, and ideas? Thanks Fireduck

2. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Black/ chartreuse or black and blue / chartreuse. 1.5 in long are really popular here. When we are really on them, color dosent seem to matter much. Slow reel them under a small cork. A couple feet under the cork is usually about right, when they are shallow.Slow reel through the area they are in.Easier to keep it the zone and not get hung up as much.:tu
    Good luck
    Try to keep it a foot or two above the fish, if possible. crappie prefer to feed up, not down.

3. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I have always preferred minnows for crappies.
    Once in a while, for some reason jigs are the bait of the day.
    I always have both in my boat.

DANNY

4. fireduck

I have also been a minnow man, but this crappie season I'm catching crappie with a jig. Crappie Magnet is what I have been using. Dropping jig straight down, then pull up a little-then let it back down. I miss a few, but I'm getting better. Crappie are still 8 to 10 ft. We are now having warmer days and nights. Looking for 2 new ultra lights- any ideas? Just let me know! Thanks Firefighter Kenny

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Black and chartreuse crappie sliders on a black crappie slider head.

If that doesn't work or the water is super clear I switch to Tenn shad slider grub on a black head.

If that doesn't work I don't catch them.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I like darker colors in darker or less clear water, and lighter colors in more clear water.

Most difficult part of catching crappie on a jig is finding them. Seems like there have been days when every single crappie in the whole lake is suspended over a single area...If you can find them, and figure out what depth they are in, they are not difficult to catch.

You might find a color preference at a given lake on a given day, but I do not think that color is all that important as compared to simply finding a school.

Many of the lakes I fished as a kid were very clear, and we tended to use white jigs... Fishing at night, I always like black, because it makes for a better silhouette against the sky light...

7. fireduck

Since being retired I have more time to crappie fish! Have been catching a few lately, but they are all very small! Maybe 1 keeper to every 12 little ones. Water temp is 62- been catching them in 7 to 8 ft deep. Catching all of them on a small curly tail and tube jigs. I hope as the water gets cooler the bigger ones will start to bite! Never tried a jig on a cork? Any ideas- slip cork be the best? Thanks Kenny

8. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Great stuff guys and like Squaller added, I like white also. I use Beatle Spins and Mr. Twisters but mostly Twisters.

What I have fun doing the best is to put a Twister underneath a bobber if your around boat docks where they like to hang out. Use a lighter jig head when doing this. Cast the bobber and jig next to the docks and let it sit for a little bit. Then make 4 steady cranks on the reel and then let it sit again. Have enough line under the bobber so when you crank it, the light jig will rise up and then slowly sink back down to the depth you have underneath your bobber when you stop. A lot of times they will hit it on the way down and also just sitting there. Sometimes when the jig is just sitting there it will still be moving a little and the fish will think its injured and will make a strike and your bobber will let you know when its going down or when its just sitting still. Give it a try!!

9. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

When the water gets a little color to it from rains, bubblegum pink with a milky chartreuse tail works well. I fished with an old fart several times that used a long flyrod like any long rod...he would flip a jig out and had a thin cork bobber set to hold the jig just above the brush. He was pulling fish in right and left and I never saw his bobber go under. I finally asked him how he knew when he had a fish on. He said watch the bobber when the jig gets to the end of the line...it stood straight up from the jig's weight. Before long the bobber laid down and he pulled up a fish. Crappie strike up...so if they hit and remove the weight of the jig, there is no pressure on the thin bobber and it will lay down on the surface of the water.

10. BPS slayer

BPS slayer Elite Refuge Member

The black and chartreuse always produce the most for us number-wise. I like the blue with silver or white tail too.
    I have always used the regular lead jigheads with no paint. I might paint a few this year and see if it makes a difference. The post above about using a black jighead made me wonder.