Crate Training Problems, Need Advice !!! Never had one like this !

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by WML, Jan 30, 2018.

1. WML

WML New Member

15 week old BLF is a sprinkler ! She runs more than a hose pipe. Seriously though I have crate trained every puppy I have owned, including a crazy knot head Jack Russel !

Little History! Pup has not once had any issues with pooping in house or in crate, but she is a peeing fool, I can carry her out and make sure shes empty, and I have seen her go right back in her crate and pee. She does not have any issues with laying in it, which is the first pup I have had that did this, I have also witnessed her lapping up her urine.

I am lucky enough to have a schedule that I can be with her everyday, all day, and I have ran a tight schedule with her since I brought her home at 7 weeks. I have been monitoring water intake since 10 weeks, and pull water at 8 before bed. She will make it all night, which has me confused as to why she will pee at anytime during the day.
    i have no bedding in her crate, and her crate is not too big, in fact it's time to move up in size, but I have been hesitant due to her not keeping herself clean in the small one.

15 week boosters was this morning, and Vet just called with results from urine sample (my request due to this issue) and her urine anaylsis showed no infection, no blood, no sugar, and urine is concentrating, so everything looks normal !

I have done everything the same as with all my pups, and have had been successful with all of them up until now. Just wondering if any of you have any advice ? This pup is killing me, I have stock in Brawny paper towels now from all the crate cleaning Im having to do.
    I know and understand all pups are different, and all mature at a different rate but this pup is so unpredictable and seems to just pee at random.

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

many of my female lab pups would urinate if they got excited especially when someone knew came over. they all eventually grew out of it. My advice if you have not done so would be to correct her when she does urinate in the kennel or anywhere in the house and praise her when she goes outside. Praise when something is done correctly is often more important than the correction but wouldn't do one without the other. each dog like humans are different. some are high strung and get very excited and lose control. some are more timid and lose control. some have some sort of bladder infection and contribute to this.

Hope it gets worked out for ya.

I am thankful we have recently been able to leave our 13 month old BLF out with our 10 year old lab now all day with no issues over the last month. everyone in the house has had to adjust and ensure bedroom doors are shut or things are picked up to avoid tempting her to get into trouble. my teen age daughters had trouble with this for a while but eventually got with the program.

3. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

You say you are wiping out the crate with a paper towel. Have you sprayed the crate down with Clorox with bleach or something similar and really cleaned it out to try to get the urine smell out? Have you thought about trying a crate that this pup has never been in and you know has no urine smell? This is a strange one and all I can think of is maybe there is urine smell in the crate so the pup thinks that it is totally normal to urinate there?

4. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Interesting situation! I would try and talk to a few good breeders and pro trainers for advice and info. Also, put pup outside in kennel during day and monitor how frequently and how much she urinates. Get a 2nd vet opinion?