Crazy Catch While Dove Hunting!

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Weekend Woodsmen, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Weekend Woodsmen

Weekend Woodsmen Refuge Member

We don't dove hunt a lot, but while goose scouting we found a field that a bunch of doves were hitting, so we decided to give it a try. We shot a LOT but we didn't hit many, but one of the ones we hit lead to the best video we have ever had! Check it out!

2. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Interesting videos. However, If you dove hunt much in good southern dove season you could have the opportunity to to that shoot and catch several times a season, if not daily. Not disparaging your video and the event, just saying its not that uncommon for a good dove shot. STILL GREAT TO CAPTURE IT ON YOUR TWO SEPERATE VIDEOS.

3. Weekend Woodsmen

No worries! We don’t get to dove hunt that much but I could see if you were on big numbers that could happen!

4. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

I tried it on a duck once. Don't.

5. Weekend Woodsmen

Hahaha! Yeah that is a little big!

6. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

caught a teal once. BAD IDEA. piece of wing bone broke off in my hand. started to fester pretty quick (2-3 hours) and had to dig it out with a pocket knife.

7. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

Ya, I caught a greenhead. Even though I caught it only 2 feet off the ground, my shoulder wasn't happy.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Video unavailable... Guess I was too late.:doh

From the context of the posts, I gather someone caught a dove that was falling after being shot?

Dove shooting is some of the sportiest shooting there is... With a 15 bird limit here, and far more access (and far closer to my house) than with other types of game, I probably kill more doves than ducks in many seasons... If I do any winter dove hunting with any degree of success this season, I will likely shoot more dove than ducks, even though I spend far more time in the field chasing ducks.

And... Not only is dove hunting great shot gunning practice and experience, it is great experience for any retrieving dog. My young pup picked up almost 90 birds this September, and she learned about breaking, lying down, looking in cover, picking up live birds, etc... I would be well into a good duck season before she has the chance to pick up 90 ducks...