Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Creek Boat, Scanoe, Other???

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by mjg308, Jan 7, 2019.

1. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

Hey guys. I'm looking for a boat to access places to DEER hunt on some local river bottom public land and I need some help.

I'm looking at a Creek Boat with the trolling motor package. That's at the top of my price range but it's doable if it's worth it. But I'm sure there are a bunch of other options out there that I don't even know about that are worth considering.

I have also heavily considered a scanoe style boat with a trolling motor. Dicks has this one for $399 that weighs less than the M12 creek boat and caries 350 pounds more and is way cheaper. And Dicks also has a 55 pound thrust trolling motor for just a bit over $200. Maybe that makes it a no brainer, but I find myself liking the Creek Boat.

Whatever I end up with, it needs to easy to haul around and launch without a trailer and easy to portage beaver dams and levees.

Shallow water use and likely flooded timber use also.

Speed is not at the top of the priority list but would be nice. How would a 55 pound thrust trolling motor on a Creek Boat stack up to the same motor on a scanoe?

Length of possible run time with the trolling motor might be a factor. I just measured one of my runs on Google Earth and it is 5 miles. Might even have to carry an extra battery?

If I went the Creek Boat route, what model would y'all recommend? It would be nice to be able to take someone with me on occasion but it will just be me 90+% of the time. What is the difference in stability, maneuverability, and speed between the M10, M11, and M12? How shallow can you go with the Creek Boats? Will it float in 6-8 inches of water?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

"Whatever I end up with, it needs to easy to haul around and launch without a trailer and easy to portage beaver dams and levees."

A 2.5 hp outboard would be a whole lot easier to portage than a battery and troll motor and it would have more power for pushing a load.:yes:yes:yes

Tuleman, QuaaackerJack and Billy Bob like this.
  3. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

I know it would definitely be easier in some regards to go that route. It’s just a stealth issue. The noise and gas smell are definite issues.

On the 1+ mile runs, I could have a gas motor for the bulk of the trip and then swap it out for a trolling motor? Is that unreasonable?

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Use a 2.5hp gas motor for the long part of the run then switch to a paddle. I had a scanoe with an old 3hp and it went pretty good, minimum of double the speed of my electric. A little can of extra fuel will get you much farther than an extra battery will.

Tuleman and Fowler267 like this.
  5. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

If I was to go with a small outboard, what kind of boat would be best? A scanoe?

How fast was your scanoe running with the 3hp vs trolling motor?

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

I think people give wood goats way too much credit.
    Guys use trucks, atv's, boats and tractors all the time to get into hunting areas.
    I get what you're trying to do, I was just throwing something out there for you to think about.:tu

7. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

I’m not interested in a wood boat. I’ve accessed this place for several years by truck and bicycle. But there are a lot of areas that are landlocked by private land with no roads going in and the only access is water. I have a big flat bottom Gator Trax boat but it won’t go where I’m talking about trying to go.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

No idea of the actual mph but it was at least twice as fast as my 50# electric. This was an old motor too. Pull rope you had to wind around the pulley on top of it for every pull type of old. It was free with the scanoe so I tried it and ended up using it a lot. A new motor will probably push one much faster.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

How does that do away with the gas smell? If the motor is there, the smell is there. Think you'd be better off with a small 4-stroke outboard than a TM. They are near silent.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

If you are worried about the smell of gas or running out of battery life, have you looked at a kayak? I had a Ocean Kayak Big Game II in camo and you could go anywhere. Very comfortable and more than enough floatation to be able to strap a field dressed deer on. And with a kayak paddle (double ends), 5 miles is nothing. Had dry storage, battery box to run a depth finder (if that's something you would need), and super stable. Plus in the spring could ease in on spots for bream and crappie that others couldn't. You can find a used one for what you want to spend on the boat and motor combo. Plus no moving parts to break when out in the backwater.