Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Creek Boat, Scanoe, Other???

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by mjg308, Jan 7, 2019.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like you need a ghenooe. Very stable, float in less than 4" water, easily cartopped and drug over obstacles. Paddle easily, pushpole even easier and will take a small outboard or trolling motor. I,ve got a 15 classic I occasionally deer hunt from and gas smell hasn,t been an issue as any deer around a navigable water way are use to boats to some extent. I run an 8hp on mine and it will do about 16 with just myself and dog. Hauls deer nicely.

2. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

It definitely wouldn't get rid of the smell but at least the motor wouldn't be running when I was in close range of where I would be hunting which would have to reduce the fumes and the smell some. I'm sure any deer downwind would still smell it easily but I would just have to plan entry routes accordingly.

3. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

I have been deer hunting with a kayak for a while now and I've made it work up to this point. But as hot and humid as it is for most of our deer season in Alabama, I can work up a sweat paddling even if I'm trying to not overdo it. I'm pretty strict about my scent control for deer hunting, so I'm pretty set on getting something with a motor.

4. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I know what a gheenoe is but I'm not familiar with them other than that. What brands are out there? What would be best if I considered that as an option?

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Our Slu-Cat is smaller and lighter than our Riverhawk. Riverhawk holds more, and is insanely stable. I'd not want to put either on top of a truck by myself. We made an extended rail that comes out of the trailer hitch, and allows you to put either in the bed of the truck, but they both load much easier on a trailer. Either will run a 9.9 OB or a 10HP mud motor. If you're set on stealth and no noise, maybe float DOWN with a paddle, and run back upriver with the OB after the hunt, if you have accesses to do it? Whereabouts in AL are you?

6. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

Loading it by myself and even being able to carry/drag it up and down an embankment to put it in the water are a must. I'm going to be hunting by myself 90+% of the time and a lot of the spots I would be putting in at are at bridges crossing a creek. I don't think I'd have the luxury of being able to put in upriver and float down with the current. I think pretty much all of the spots I'm trying to hunt are upstream of where I would be launching. I'm in Madison. I see you are in Huntsville. Nice to meet you neighbor.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yessir, live in Ardmore, but work on the Arsenal. Nice to meet you as well. And welcome to the forum.

You won't want to be doing that with a Slu-Cat, Ghenoe, or Riverhawk. Too bulky and awkward (I say this, because I've put in or took out at a whole bunch of bridges around here, and they all have pretty crappy/steep embankments next the the bridges).

8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I would think a used 10' porta-bote would work. They are fairly light, and fold up flat (look like a surfboard when folded). A 2.5-3 hp O/B would keep everything pretty portable. They are very stable boats (I have 2, a 12' and a 10')

9. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Ghenooe, Riverhawk basically same boat in basic forms. My 15 weighs a little over a 100 lbs. You won,t throw it around like a kayak but they,re manageable especially if offloaded from a boat trailer. They do make a 13' but not much weight saved and storage capacity smaller of course. Probably would,nt make much difference deer hunting but I use mine duck hunting when I,m going solo and 15 gives plenty of decoy space.

10. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've noticed no one has commented on the Creek Boat. Does that mean I'm barking up the wrong tree on that one?

I've also been checking in on Sportspal canoes. The S13 and S15 are flat backed and could accept an outboard or trolling motor. Any feedback on those?