Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Creek Boat, Scanoe, Other???

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by mjg308, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

There shouldnt be any gas smell unless your motor or tank/fuel line leaks. Fix it. As far as exhaust chasing away deer, we use ATV’s all the time to get within 75 to 100 yards of the stands with no problem with noise or fumes etc effecting the deer coming by. Stinky diesel farm equipment are in the fields and deer walk past them. Sounds like a Geenoe or other square sterned light boat is what will work nice in your situation. The kids ride their 2 cycle dirt bikes around the farm that has plewnty of deer, on the trails in the woods and they are not scared away much and always come back. Good luck with the boat find, craigs list is good. I bought a Coleman square sterned, wide canoe a few years ago for $80. Great deal.

2. mjg308

mjg308 New Member

I appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to keep a close eye on Craigslist. I think I'm too impatient though, haha. Maybe I'm just overly strict about my scent control, but I feel certain that the gas smell would alarm the deer I'm going after. The places I'm talking about hunting are anywhere from a few hundred yards to a couple of miles past where 99% of the boats have to stop if they are just fishing. And it's an area that doesn't allow duck hunting, so there's not really anyone running mud motors or anything in the creeks and backwaters there. No main roads or many farms for several hundred yards at least either. I'm not suggesting those deer don't smell gas engines and exhaust fumes and whatnot from time to time, but it would definitely not be the norm for them to be smelling it. And I'm only after mature bucks. I don't shoot does in this area. Public land mature bucks are pretty wary creatures. I feel certain they would pick up on something out of the ordinary that they were smelling. I have places I hunt where I use ATVs for access also and it doesn't seem to be a big deal, but those are lightly pressured private properties and I think that makes all the difference in the world.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If you're phone savvy, there is a Craigslist search app (CLPro, maybe). It is not made by Craigslist. You can enter a keyword and it will search all local and not-so-local cities for that keyword. Beats having to go city by city and searching.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I purchased a NuCanoe 12’ Frontier model last summer for portability at rough launch sites and accessibility to out of the way locations. Bought the motor mount for it and had a bushing tube fabricated to it for the Rickshaw MM. This little motor is out of production but there are a few around mainly west of the Mississippi. It weighs ~23# with a 1.7HP Honda 4-stroke hooked to a gear reduction device the manufacturer created to effectively put out a bit over 7HP of thrust. There’s probably still the YouTube videos available on them. I think there may be one available from a guy in Muskogee and will check if you want me to contact him.

As another option, have you looked at the Mokai rigs?

5. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

Don't worry about the gas smell. When I was young, my best friend shot his biggest deer while taking a leak while simultaneously smoking a cigarette. True story, no kidding. Had to

Not only do you have to get to the spot, you have to be able to transport your deer out. Your vessel will need to be able to do this safely. This would eliminate kayaks right off the bat in my opinion. I would be hesitant to rely on battery power to get me in and out of my hunting area if there is much current to be navigated.

I would recommend something along the line of a old Grumman Squareback canoe and use a gas motor. . They are light, surprisingly stable and very durable. Designed to operate under power so they are safer than a craft designed to be paddled and altered. I went duck hunting in my 17 foot Squareback yesterday morning. Two grown men and a 95 lb lab. Against very stiff current. Once we arrived at the swamp, we had to portage it(by sliding it on the ground) about 75 yards from the river.

Ghenoes are a viable option, but I prefer the durability and the more slender profile of the canoe.

6. V C

V C New Member

Welcome, and let me be the first to say Roll Tide. I have a M10 creek boat and 13' Gheenoe. The M 10 is a great boat , but not for what you want. The Gheenoe is a better option, or score an old Grumman Sportboat. A 55# TM will move you about 4 mph but draws 50 + AMP on hi. Group 31 batteries are heavy, and you maybe get 3 hr run time

7. Steelshot Scott

canoe pic.jpg

My 17 foot Grumman Squareback

canoe pic 2.jpg

The hunt from the other morning. Canoe is stable enough for 2 hunters,gear,guns and dog and is relatively easy to portage. I highly recommend it.

8. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

20181119_075636.jpg 20181201_075045.jpg 20181119_075636.jpg 20181201_075045.jpg I have an M98 creekboat. I love the little thing. Easily holds me, the dog (70 lb lab) and a good nmber of decoys. I have even used it as a layout in the sound and it did well there too. Very light weight and paddles good with a kayak paddle.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Those Grumman squarebacks are built like tanks. Incredible piece of duck hunting equipment right there. You would think someone would come up with plans or a kit to convert a regular Grumman Canoe into a squareback with accurate patterns the transom piece , fastenings and braces/knees etc.

10. Steelshot Scott

Tailfeathers, you are correct there. The squarebacks are hard to come by and becoming more rare every year. But occasionally you have one pop up on Craigslist in the $300 to $400 dollar range(maybe 2 a year).

There is one for sale right now for $350 locally. I am tempted to buy it even though I don't need it just because I know how rare it is.