Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Crossing border with dui

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Jtb03, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Jtb03

Jtb03 New Member

We have a trip planned end of October to go to Saskatchewan. Group of 8 of us. 2 people in the group have older dui's. One 6 years and other 8 years old I believe. Anyone know if we will have any troubles? I hear it really depends on the officer at the border. We had zero troubles getting across in Ontario for fishing 3 years ago and they were not as old then. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also years past we have crossed in portal, is there a better crossing that we would be better of?

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Ten years for most stuff. Don't know if DUI ever drops in Canada though. Yes, they will be turned back unless you are incredibly lucky. They should have already started the paperwork process. They can get in, but it requires some work on their part...oh, and some extra money.

3. deadbirdfindit

deadbirdfindit New Member

Call the folks at the North Portal and talk to them about your situation. It's a long drive to have folks turned away. Remember that not all crossings are 24hrs. That's why I mentioned the north portal(open 24hrs). I have been through many of them in ND and this one for whatever reason seems the most laid back. Could just be my imagination at 2am when we cross. Good luck. Here is general crossing number. Select prompt or choose the North Portal 204-983-3500.

4. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

+1 on calling in advance and not worrying about it or trying to hide it.

5. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I had a dwi arrest 9 years ago that was dismissed in court for various reasons thank god.. I was told I should bring all the court papers to back this up cause the arrest still may show up. I went to canada in June and got right in with no questions. But I hear if you have a conviction no matter how old they can turn you away and do often. They better have the Canadian paperwork filled out which can take months and costs money. If not their trip will end early. You should take separate cars just in case.

6. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I think they are more strict for hunting and when guns are involved. Very good chance they won't get in without the Canadian papers filled out but they take months I am told.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Once going into Manitoba the agent looked me up and said, "Have you ever been to Chattanooga, TN?" I replied in the affirmative, and she said her system showed a bounced check for $10.93 there in '92. I told her I'd moved away from Chattanooga that year and I supposed it was possible something got crossed during the banking change.

Well, an hour, $250 and a limited entry visa later, and I was cleared to go in. She also explained that next year it would be at agent discretion since it would have been ten years. Interestingly, the year prior in Saskatchewan they'd found nothing. The next year in AB they asked why I'd been flagged in Manitoba. I explained, and the agent said the only thing in the system was my having been flagged and let me through. Also, I called the bank, the court and the sheriff's office in Chattanooga and they had nothing on file.

8. CSUguy

CSUguy Senior Refuge Member

Bring all your court papers neatly organized in a 3-ring binder. Make sure your documents look professional, clean, and organized. It's often up to the agent's discretion to let you in. If you look like a bum, are unorganized and unprofessional they'll send you back. If you look presentable, have your documents in order, and can answer their questions easily then you will stand a chance at getting in.

9. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

It's a long lonely drive home by yourself. I speak from experience. Even worse when you get pics of stacks of birds from your buddies who made it across. I wouldn't even try unless EVERYTHING is in order ahead of time.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Read this carefully: http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/ .

Call the closest Canadian consulate and you can expedite your paperwork. Otherwise you are rolling the dice. Catch somebody on a bad day after their football team loses and you will be turned away. Officers discretion.