Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Crossing border with dui

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Jtb03, Aug 31, 2017.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

My old roommate got turned back for a 10 yr old DUI , and he didn't have a gun with him he had his bow going deer hunting. If they decide to chance it make sure they are riding together in their own truck. Personally I wouldn't chance it, no way in hell!
    I don't have to worry about it I ain't ever going up to shoot at easy birds.
    Everyone I have talked to that goes up there says the same thing the hunt is for permission into a field once you find the birds, after that it's a shoot not so much of a hunt.

2. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

Bang, thanks for the posting of the different locations to contact. the first link is designed to scare people so they can make money off of you not sure how accurate there statements are and most are very vague. Pay us to find out is what I get out of all that. I would like to know what if you had one 20 years ago?

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The info. appears accurate, but again, contact the consulate for the most accurate information.

4. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

5. Captain Jim

Captain Jim Elite Refuge Member

A guy who hunted in our group had a DUI that was 20 years old and barely made it through...and he was told he would NOT make it next time...

6. CLS Posse

CLS Posse Elite Refuge Member

The Canadian government deems you criminally rehabilitated if 10 years have passed since your court supervision ended.....not your arrest date. And no other offenses have taken place. You should be able to get across but it is not a guarantee......but only 1 offense on your record you are usually good to go. Years 5-10 after your offense it is up to border guards discretion. You can go through the Criminal Rehabilitation Process after 5 years and do a bunch of paperwork and pay $250 and you will get across. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get all the paperwork together. You can drive to the border and apply in person and find out that day or do it through the mail but that takes up to 6 months. Less than 5 years after you may file for a TRP ( temporary residence permit ) and pay a fee but they are rarely granted for hunting trips.