Crow hunting in Scotland.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by scotshot, May 16, 2005.

1. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

Yep, Rod's correct...

2. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

Is that a 'European Hare'?

My dad was was a GI in WWII. He told of shooting tremendous rabbits in Austria after the war with a .45 ACP.

3. scotshot

scotshot Senior Refuge Member

Beav,

It is a Brown Hare, I believe they are found accross Europe. In the UK we have the Brown Hare and the White/Mountain Hare. I shoot the Browns as crop protection off fields of Broccolli and Colliflowers.

The moderator is fitted to a thread on the end of the barrel, the only downside to getting this done is that the gun requires re-proofing if you wish to sell it on afterwards. Although a lot of guns now come from the factory already threaded so you don't need to worry.

Mark.

4. tx-threeshot

tx-threeshot Senior Refuge Member

Do you ever hunt with air rifles? I've got a .25 webly patriot that nearly shoots thru 2x4s and it kills pidgeons and furry animals as far out as you can hit them. I would never actually try and kill a deer with it but it would kill a coyote clean with good shot placement. Where I used to live, you could kill blackbirds, grackles etc. that are eating crops and shooting them off milo heads was too easy and was quite cheap since the ammo was #3 buckshot.

5. scotshot

I have 2 PCP air rifles, an Air Arms s410 and a Falcon FN19 Lighthunter, both in .22 calibre. I use them for shooting Rabbits and Feral Pigeons and will kill out to 40 yards with accurate shooting.
    It's great fun using them with a lamp at night when shooting Rabbits. It's a lot more challenging than using a .22rf as you've got to get a lot closer without spooking them.

mark.

6. scotshot

Here's some more fur from Scotland. :sp

I zeroed in my new scope today, a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster 6-24x44 on my 22-250, Got good groups at 100 yards so decided to go out and test it.

The first 2 shots produced dog Fox at 200 yards and a Hare at 150 yards, both head shot. :clap

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Mark.

7. Dogface

Dogface Senior Refuge Member

Mark

That's a nice piece of wood on that rifle. Who did the stock?

BTW nice shooting!

8. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

Man, I'd have nightmares if I ever saw a rabbit that big. :no

Good work with that 22-250. Is that a CZ also?

FWIW, CZ is acquiring a fine reputation in the US. The rifles are excellent and the handguns quite good, but don't have the following of SIG, Glock, beretta and so on.

9. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

Didn't Blair, et al, outlaw fox hunting in the UK or was that just with the hounds?

10. scotshot

Dogface,

It's a CZ550 out of the Czech factory, They are producing some really good wood on their guns, If it was on a German gun you'd probably pay double for the same wood!

[​IMG]

Beav,
    The hunting ban is only with hounds, many more foxes are killed with rifles.

PS,
    The giant Rabbit is a Hare. :sp

Cheers,
    Mark.