Crowded out on public access lake...by the only other boat on the lake

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Sep 18, 2018.

1. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

They certainly define how possession is terminated, and taking the birds home definitely does not terminate possession.

§ 20.39 Termination of possession.

Subject to all other requirements of this part, the possession of birds taken by any hunter shall be deemed to have ceased when such birds have been delivered by him to another person as a gift; or have been delivered by him to a post office, a common carrier, or a migratory bird preservation facility and consigned for transport by the Postal Service or a common carrier to some person other than the hunter.

I'd like to see the language in the state regulations that states possession limits only apply until you get the birds home or that possession is terminated once you get the birds home.

I hunt Oregon at least once a season (a buddy of mine has a bunch of property on Sauvie Island) so I try to stay up on their regs, and I don't ever recall seeing anything that suggests that possession limits don't apply once you are home. In fact, from what I've seen, the OR regs mirror the federal regs with regards to possession limits and field possession limits.

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Been saying the same thing for years. Last batch I dropped off was 77#s of breast’s.
    Of course it wasn’t all in my freezer. I gifted 20 other people zippy bags full to have them store. Was very concerned about a raid on my garage.

Silver Wings likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Cannabutter= pesto if you're being serious.

4. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/game-bird/general-hunting-regulations/

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I assume you are talking about this part....
    Possession limit means the maximum number of birds that a person may lawfully possess (includes fresh, frozen, or otherwise processed) in the field or in transit to place of permanent residence

You take that to mean 'possession' ends at the permanent residence. I don't see it saying that. I think it is talking about how much game a person can have in the field, or on the way home. If it 'truly' wanted to say possession ends at the residence, it must say so.

J.Bennett and gadwall52 like this.
  6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

The possession limit is the most talked about thing on an inter web duck forum.

I would love to hear from someone who has received a ticket for having too many duck breasts at his permanent residence.

I have been fortunate. For past 30 years my #1 hunting partners have been game wardens. 5 different states, with 2 Feds thrown in the mix.
    Not a single one has an issue with birds in your home freezer.

Very similar to topic #2. Counting cripples towards daily bag limit.
    Not a one will count them, as long as you make a reasonable effort to find.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Anachronistic law made in a time when average folks couldn't keep food. Made it easier to convict market hunters. Today it becomes a tag-on violation on someone who is already in deep.

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

My friends hunt cabin got raided in Arkansas. They got away with warnings but the wardens wanted them to have the freezer bags labeled with what it was and a log book with who shot what on any given day with their license numbers logged as well. The ducks had to be logged in detail. They are not guides. Just a cabin on private property. We shot 8 man limits daily and ate 64 mallards in two days to stay under our possession limit.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Yep. Only time I have personally witnessed possession limit violations written is when someone shoots over the daily limit on opening day. Which always kinda bothered me, because the rules don’t specifically state that you can’t possess more than 1 daily bag limit on opening day. Oh well.

I’ve heard many rumors of hunting camp raids (even raids on picking shacks in Louisiana). It’s total BS- possession limit laws need to go away.

The laws are in place to protect the resource. Possession limits protected the resource from market hunters at one time, but nowadays they do nothing but cause inconvenience for lawful hunters. Possession laws actually encourage game waste by hunters who are afraid of getting busted for being over possession.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  10. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Then how are we not in violation if we have unmarked ducks in our freezer after the season ends? It’s not like I kill enough ducks to be in violation of this, but people who do and don’t keep a log book or label every freezer bag in their permanent residence should not be in violation of this. That’s absurd.