CROWS! what a BLAST!!!!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by dougburris, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

So, do you just put an owl decoy in a tree and start calling? What else do you need to do? I want to give this a try soon, btw!

2. minminn

minminn Elite Refuge Member

Actually you can set the caller and yourself back in the middle of the woods without decoys!!
    Turn on caller and you will have the best wood duck hunting simulation ever.. Them birds come in to ya 100mph bouncing off trees and it is a blast!!!:D
    If you dofield hunt them use a owl decoy and a half doz crow decoys just for confidence, let the caller rip and look out:tu

3. minminn

minminn Elite Refuge Member

He shouldn't have added that part, but it does add to the realism:grvn

4. BlueBeak

BlueBeak Senior Refuge Member

Can someone explain how the "sound download" actually works on those new digital callers???? I have an OLD cassette tape type caller with the loudspeaker on a 50'cord and a very heavy battery. Works well but its just plain wearing out. I want to get a new caller but I'd like it to call continuously until I turn it off. Can you do that with a downloaded sound? I'm thinking I would have to repeat the same sound bite over and over, always messing with the buttons on the remote and having silence between every "repeat". Thats no good for crows. Thanks for any insight, BB

5. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

OK: Crow hunting is fun but like most hunting, not every trip is 50 bird shoot. You really have to scout to find a big bunch of crows and then a lot of times they will all come at once and you get a few and then a few come back and you get a couple more and that is it. They are amazingly smart and wary once the shooting starts. Let a spot rest at least a week and you can get a few more. Rivers are good to hunt along as crows will fly up and down looking for dead stuff washed up etc. A dead crow under an owl decoy is effective. I don;t like using a cripple. Just me but seems well, not right. Do not use a retriever. crows go for the dogs eyes I am told.
    I like to plan a day where I go from Conservation area to area and stop near cedar groves or when I see crows and hit about 5 to 8 in a day.

A fox pro does not make it less fun and it doesn t always work. Keeps your hands free to shoot.

6. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

crowbusters.com

7. dougburris

dougburris Senior Refuge Member

when you hunt timber i found that the hieght of the canopy (tree top) is the range you must shoot at so find a younger or shorter area when you set up
    but with out a doubt you must be well hidden and movement is a deal breaker

as far as overshooting an area i had great success on my first hunt but after 3 hunts a week a part the birds knew the game and will fly close but still well out of range

i have added 2 liter flat black painted bottles to my decoy spread

still working on movement in the decoys but have not yet found what works best

early and late, fog or snow will increase your chances at getting birds close
    but the daily flight movement is critical you must be within a 1/4 mile of their path to get any real action

all frustrated bird hunters should try this it is fun and very challanging :nutz

8. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

I saw a video on you tube with a guy using a rotary machine with two black colored flappers ( Don't know where he got em) and he was smacking em. Looked like a good idea. Must have been close to town cause he had one of them long barreled silent shotgun units.