Curious how far north birds still are?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by WillowSloughHunter, Dec 29, 2017.

1. WillowSloughHunter

WillowSloughHunter Senior Refuge Member

Like the headline says... how far north right are birds still able to hang out right now? Post what birds you seen the general town location and how long ago it was..

2. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Geese and ducks somewhere around SD.

3. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Shot some gaddys on Tuesday but the real cold blast came Wed/Thu...Scouted this afternoon and saw nothing but blacks, sea ducks and geese all of whom (traditionally) will stick around through this. Did not see a mallard anywhere. I'm in the northeastern most corner of MA on the coast. We're froze up tight. Need a January thaw soon or the season is effectively done.

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Strange yesr,we have been in the 65 degree range most of November and December,I don't know for sure where are birds are but I have s hunch most are held up just north in North Central Utah.Most years we get a reverse migration the last 3 weeks of January,this year I don't think there are many birds south of us,maybe some Cinnies or Pintails. Time will tell.

5. jjseman

jjseman Senior Refuge Member

Northeast Ohio still has numerous geese, ducks are in pockets here and there. They are on the little bit of open water that is not being hunted. Any bit of open water on public land is pounded by hunters. I hate winter ice up.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  6. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Saw 500 merganser, 6 GoldenEye, 2 blacks, a mallard and 4 crippled geese today on my scouting run in SW WI.

So you got a sweet push to come yet.

JohnBZ likes this.
  7. movhuntr

movhuntr Refuge Member

We can always tell when things go bad up north. The only real migration we've seen thus far is the northern OH hunters. lol

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Lake Erie/Detroit River, Tens of thousands of birds still holding strong out there. Any open water around is full of mallards and geese as well. 29CEE065-0B69-4A5A-8448-0C4C17BC7AF8.jpeg 11C1369B-2741-4CFB-BF6B-FD87F14084E3.jpeg

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

What's it take to lock that up?

10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Little wind and lots of cold. Most of that should be closed up by next weekend. Currently Lake Erie is around 20% frozen. That’s forecasted to grow to around 36% by New Years Day.