Cursing around kids?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Jan 17, 2018.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

It’s not a matter of requiring but more of a matter that is the environment. I can’t expect EVERYONE to change in certain environments because I brought my kids into an adult environment. If that makes sense.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. buck_master_2001

I’m right here with you. It’s a daily struggle to bite my tongue and watch what I say.

3. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

I've been in plenty of camps where the booze flowed yet not a single curse word was spoken and everyone had a damn fine time. I've been in a few locker rooms, too. Can't recall ever hearing foul language nor would it be a necessary part of that locker room.
    Signed, A Real Downer

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

And then you've been in duck camp with me...

hartfish likes this.
  5. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Honestly of all the things kids can be exposed to these days online or in person profanity is absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt the least harmful of any of them. I'd be a thousand times more scared to let my kinds around some of y'alls politcal beliefs.

While I certainly understand that sentiment, I dont think thats what "proponents" of cursing here are lobbying for. It's more of a thing that duck hunting is their release, their outlet, and the act of constantly censoring and stifling one's self (if one is indeed accustomed to swearing frequently), this can become tiresome and may negatively impact the experience.

It is 100000% more cathartic to yell "f***" at a group of flaring ducks than "gosh darn it". Or whiffing all three shots, saying something like "gee whiz" is like holding in a fart.

Don't get me wrong, for the right dad and for the right kid I'd hold my tongue but I can definitely agree that the experience might fatigue me a bit.

I'll add the few wives/girlfriends/moms that I have shared a blind with, didn't flinch at anything foul and some even offered up their own curses. I do make it a point to not let the nasty or dirty stuff I say come about in front of women as that's just totally in poor taste. But its not 1800 anymore, if a woman can hear f*** in a movie she can hear it in a duck blind and not faint. I've had plenty of women (I'll admit most have been under about 50) say that's just part of the experience. I think most 60-70+ yr old women would tend to blush at a curse a little more.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    GK1 likes this.
  6. buck_master_2001

I couldn’t agree more.

7. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

I cussed like a sailor when I was a kid...never in front of my parents though. And I turned out just fine lol.

I've got a buddy that is psycho about cussing around his kids. I'm like dude, don't bring them in this environment then. Or bring them around me I guess. I'm not saying vulgar things just happen to let a cuss word slip now and then. Far worse things in this world IMO....like Tide pods :dv

8. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Careful, the little &%*^(&'s hear and repeat every $*(&%#^-ing thing some $%(A%^ing adults say.:yes

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I get it, and I don't expect everyone to at places like a duck camp; I simply choose my friends and hunting partners appropriately so that it's rarely an issue. The ones I take more issue with are the ones in the bleachers or in line a restaurant or any other normal everyday situation. And I'm not talking about the occasional stuff either, my issue is the ones where no sentence goes without a curse of some sort. That imo is simply childish and pathetic.

I think many of you are missing the point. It's not that we're scared they'll hear it or that we expect to totally shelter them from it, rather it's simply concern that they'll decide that's acceptable behavior when for some(myself included) it's simply not something I'll condone or tolerate in my household. I do the same with any other behavior I deem unacceptable and while I won't shelter them from it I certainly won't immerse them in it either.

10. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Exactly my point.