Custom call makers...

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Goose Isle Gunner, May 7, 2017.

1. Goose Isle Gunner

Goose Isle Gunner Elite Refuge Member

I've got a few from Randy at Cold Front in the past. It's been some time ago now. Might have to see how the latest versions are. I did pick up a Cadence this past year. I was pleased. I got a Closer and it's a solid call. Have never ordered a custom from him though.

2. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

Turning a barrel and stuffing it with an echo insert isn't call making in my opinion.

Goose Isle Gunner likes this.
  3. ducknazi

ducknazi Senior Refuge Member

Agreed. But it's a start and hopefully they got the bug to experiment and come up with their own insert

DN

4. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

Chevy takes a GM motor and drops it in body and frame and they are considered an automobile manufacturer!

Guys need to start somewhere. Yes barrel stuffing is not true art of call making but there could be much worse things guys could be doing. And grounds uses echo inserts in some of his calls and I like his offering the best. I think it has to do with barrel design....unless he does something to toneboard???? There is some thought that goes into matching a barrel to an insert.

5. how45hard

The Chevy analogy was way off also. Chevy mass produces cars. They don't build custom cars.

I'm not bashing the guy, I'm glad him and his son have something they enjoy that they do together. My point is this is a thread about custom calls. Not mass produced calls like Echo or RNT and not a stuffed barrel which are a dome a dozen these days.

6. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

seriously, nice try. thanks for the explanation, now i get how the auto industry works. the original poster said CUSTOMS, ....enough said

7. Wiscoduckhunt

I get that but people love to just pile on all the time. Guy makes barrels and puts in echo inserts. I am sure I could get a "custom barrel" with an echo insert and there is still something to be said for that.

The guy posted that he is making his own calls...I think that is cool. I also agreed that is not custom call making putting an echo insert in your barrel. Still I would rather provide some encouragement than just rip on people. I wasn't saying that is was custom call making but guys were calling him out as not even being a call Maker....yes he is building calls just like many other companies build their products...guys need to start somewhere. If you would have read the whole post maybe you would understand what I was getting at.

8. how45hard

Ok bud, funny that you mention reading the whole post as your own reading skills are lacking. Everyone is so sensitive. I clearly said I'm not bashing him and I'm glad he enjoys doing that with his son.
    My point is the OP asked for custom call makers, not custom barrel makers. He's been on this site long enough to know the difference.

9. Wiscoduckhunt

Was replying to choc24/7 sorry for the crossover ...

10. Matthew Taylor

Matthew Taylor New Member

So I'm clear. I don't take it personally. I have read a lot about what custom is to many people and it differs wildly. If I buy a jig to cut the sound board and file it down. And that jig is set up to be exactly the same as a echo. Yeah I but trimmed kndown the reed another 1/32". Is that custom? Or should I widdle it out of a walnut stick by eye and then find a willow reed then tune it to my ear not yours is that the custom? Or may be the guy that molds all the pieces in molds then fill paints his name into it files down a reed to the molded insert and tunes it. Is that the custom we are talking? Help me understand what custom really is?