Custom Knife Show

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Wolfeman, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Wolfeman

Wolfeman Senior Refuge Member

I just got back from the knife show down at Robinson Center. There were some pretty knives there and some of them were pretty darn expensive. I managed to find one there that was within my price range that I liked, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I am going to have the guy make one for me and ship it when it gets done. He said that it would be several months, so I told him no hurry. I look forward to receiving it here in a couple of months. Anyone else here go to the knife show or has anyone ever bought a custom made knife?

2. catdaddylong

catdaddylong Elite Refuge Member

My brother's wife's uncle was Art Wiman who was a renowned Arkansas knife maker who lived at Plumerville. He and his wife are now deceased but when he was alive I wanted him to make me a custom knife. I drew it up on note book paper and took it to him. I wanted the handle to be made from an elk antler I picked up while mule deer hunting in Colorado. Uncle Art told me the elk antler was kind of old and chalky and when he cut it if he found it would not be suitable would I be happy with India Stag and I told him OK. My knife I designed was a fixed blade drop point 3 1/2 inch blade with my name on one side of the blade and Art's on the other. Also I wanted a hole at the end of the handle for a rawhide hand tie. The knife is made out of D2 tool steel. I forgot what numbers he told me it would rate on the Rockwell scale but it would hold an edge for a long time before you would have to sharpen it. He told me not to ever try to crack a pelvis bone with it because I could possibly chip the blade but to just use it for cutting and skinning. He said to use a hatchet for cracking the pelvis. It does fine on cutting through the sternum though. To answer your question Art made my knife for me in a week and that included the handmade leather holster for it. I think he charged me $50 but it could have been a little less as he made it for me about 20 years ago. I am not a knife collector but I will cherish this knife for the rest of my life.

3. Wolfeman

Wolfeman Senior Refuge Member

I thought I would bring this back up again since the 2009 show is this weekend at the Robinson Center/Double Tree Hotel. Open Saturday 9-5 and Sunday 9-4.

These are the knives that I ordered from last year, one for me and one for my brother:

[​IMG]

4. blake_mhoona

blake_mhoona Elite Refuge Member

my dad is a jeweler but about 2-3 years ago he got in to knife making as a hobby and he has some promising remarks about his knifes..last year he sent 2 with kenny rowe to sell (kenny is world reknown leather guy out of hope) anyway he is doing the same thing this year yall should take a look at kenny's stand at the show...my dad's name is Art Mhoon so if you see any of his knifes or buy one let me know...there is one stag handle damascus blade hunter that i am in love with and if it doesnt go for 350 or more i will be shocked....he also has a camel bone handle bowie knife with intricate carving on the handle (thats where he is really good becuase of his jeweler's experience) i think that one may fetch a pretty penny..he usually puts one a month out he'll be there if you want to talk to him...he may just be hard to find cause he doesnt have a stand he is walking around trying to get more ideas for his knifes

5. catdaddylong

My knife that Art Wiman made for me looks just like these except mine has a stag handle. I was disapointed thta I did not get to use it on a bull this year.

Cat

6. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

I had the fortune to meet Mr. Wiman back in '89 or so. Friend of mine is from Springfield, AR, just up the road from Plumerville...I went to his house two or three times, and he finally took us down to his shop once...only once. Patterns everywhere hanging on hooks...I believe I'd have an easier time getting Pimp, MG, RK, and others to post GPS coordinates to their Bayou Meto honeyholes on this page than getting any knifemaking methods out of him...

Bought Mr. Wiman's version of a Ka-bar knife with bois d'arc handles...wished I'd had the money to buy one of his "butter bean" folding knives...they were the nuts. Still have the big knife and the leather sheath for it in the closet.

He also made a version of a Roman short sword...custom made to each person, the length from crook of the elbow to the fingertips...

He made a blade for this friend of mine out of some old chipper blades from the papermill...said he'd never do it again...the steel was too hard to work.

I miss Mr. Wiman...real good man. Was like a lot of the old-time callmakers I've met...

7. catdaddylong

Art was a good guy. My sister in law has a bunch of steak knifes he made out of band saw blades. He shared a lot of his secrets with Jimmy Lile who he helped get started. I remember those little butter bean knifes. He told me that my knife was a rarity as he never put any name on the blade other than his own. My knife has his name on one side and mine on the other.

I walked my beagle near your house last week. My black lab passed away Jan. 30. If you see a guy walking a beagle in the hood stop and say hi

Cat

8. rhpierce

If you're walking around Twin Creek/Gamble, especially on weekends, stop by the house...always got a cold beer, water, etc.

Sorry about your Lab. The world is always a little smaller after they leave.

Your knife is rare...I don't know of any that he put a name on other than his own...

I did see a set of steak knives he made from turkey legs...those were a stitch...and sharp as a man could want...

9. markfromark

markfromark New Member

Really old thread here, I know. Any chance you guys with Wiman knives are still around?

10. rhpierce

I still have three of them. Still wish I could find a "butterbean" folder of his...