Custom MOJO/spinning wings stakes

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by livtohunt1on1, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

1. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Tired of bending, braking, and ruining spinning wings stakes. I have seen a few heavy duty square tubing spear stake created.

Any ideas, advise or pictures you all have?

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I have several and very much like the auger style.

I have seen several custom jobs that are square tube to rebar, with a cross section welded about 18 inches up (to step on to get into firm bottom) and the bottom spike is ground down to a point. There are robust, but they are heavy.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I've made some out of 3/4" emt. Smash one end with a hammer and attach a connector to the other. I thread the empty hole on the connector with the correct size thumb screw to lock down the stub on the decoy. A short two lb hand sledge is all that is needed to pound the stake into the ground (a little more difficult if the ground is frozen). Easy to make several of different lengths if you need them for different depths of water if not hunting a fields.

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I'm not much on ROBOs , but a friend of mine made several 2foot sections of lightweight pipe, and he raises his robot to 15 or 20 feet to hunt in the timber. It all packs up neatly into a backpack.

5. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Field hunting.... I have a railroad tie plate for a base with a short piece of square tube that my regular mojo pole slides into. No pounding, no bent stakes, just set it on the ground and put your mojo on it. For water....I use the mojo extension poles. I have mine set for about 6'. The only change I made was I bolted it together so it's a bit stiffer and I drilled a hole into it and the little piece on the mojo that slides into the pole and bolt the mojo to the pole for carrying and lessen the noise due to vibration.

2WIDGN likes this.
  6. UpNorth218

UpNorth218 New Member

Like Gunner, I have made them out of 3/4” emt. For the top where the robo connects, I’ve just been able to reform the emt enough to accept the robo without any additional connectors. Just make sure to drill a hole through the emt so you can bolt in the robo. For the bottom of the emt, I cut it off at an angle to make a nice sharp point. Throw some spray paint on there and you’re good to go. Easy, cheap (can make multiple different lengths), durable and it works

7. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

yes! Conduit! paint it cut to your preference I've had to shave the corners of the nub on the robo Works great and cheap!

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

3/4 emt Conduit is best and more importantly cheapest mojo stake you,ll find. I usually cut a notch in top of mine so mojo body stub settles into it to stop decoy from swinging on stake . Round out notch w dremel . Cut pointed end on sharp angle and flatten in vice and no mud will get stuck up inside conduit. Stops it from rusting out as quick. Good shot of rustoleum brown paint and it,ll last a long time. I keep a few in various lengths in each boat I hunt with.