Custom whistle

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Been bitten by the call bug again so have been slowly picking my way through some good call makers who I would call artists. Here is my recent whistle made by Dustin at Coon creek calls. I sent him a blank and told him kind of an idea and he took off with it. Can't wait to get it in hand...(wood blank, teal acrylic tips/band)

IMG_1168.JPG

Albino Woodie likes this.
  2. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Looks cool Bones ! Widgeon, pintail whistle?

3. Goose Isle Gunner

Goose Isle Gunner Elite Refuge Member

I've tried several of the fancy wood whistles. I end up reverting back to the plastic DC 6 in 1 though for ease of use and sound.

4. Mr.Bones

Thanks R! Yup and as well as Drake mallard.

seaduckhunt likes this.
  5. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

Very nice Bones! Dustin makes a really nice whistle you will not be disappointed if this is your first Coon Creek. Dustin has made me some super nice whistles. I started hunting Dustin's whistles last season and i liked them. I know a whistle is a whistle and probably doesn't matter but i found his whistles were rock solid and functioned while my buddies plastic whistles broke or clogged up with spit or god knows what. I also noticed they were a little louder than what i had been using and cut through better on windy days. I just got a custom back from him myself. I'd post a pic but don't want to high jack your thread.

6. Mr.Bones

No hijacking at all! Post a picture!!
    And thanks for the feedback- would agree that it sounds pretty sharp and seem to have more volume than my other plastic whistle. We don't get into many pintails here but damn if it doesn't sound like one and the drake "growl" sound very good as well!

7. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

Mr. Bones, we get a TON of pintails here. So many it was hard to believe they dropped the limit. We also get a lot of wigeon, and teal, so i keep my whistle in my hand. I use a whistle the entire hunt and never ever grab for my other calls.

Here are my last 2 he made me. There is one he made me that i don't post anywhere. People message me 24/7 about selling it. Its a call i'll be hanging on to for a while

Attached Files:

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I too like custom, wood, whistles.
    Plastic work fine and I still break out my Haydels magnum on windy days, but my wood whistles have that sweet tone. Sort of like comparing vinyl to digital.
    I have an old, Iverson, in rosewood, a Wingert in amboynia burl and my favorite, a custom in African Blackwood made by a friend Pete Wooley who now lives in France.

Albino Woodie likes this.