Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Daily IL River Valley Report

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Hairshark, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

Thought I would get this thread up and running for 2005. Lots of teal flying early, but not for us. Two of us got 2 woodies and a mallet drake. VERY FEW mallards flying. Did see a few skiddish pinners though! Good to be out, hope everyone enjoyed the opener.

2. Bowed Up

Bowed Up Senior Refuge Member

Killed four mallards and a gadwall on the Mississippi River. Saw alot of ducks this morning mostly high flyers though....

3. BirdieRetriever

BirdieRetriever Senior Refuge Member

Hunted near beardstown. We only had one duck work us and it was a Black Jack. Needless to say he won't be working anymore. :dv We did have some can's swing us and a couple guys in the blind pulled up to shoot and we all yelled CANS!!! DON'T SHOOT! :fp I am sure when they come into season we will never see them. Oh well.

Like everyone else is saying water is low we need some rain BAD! Prolly saw between 100-200 ducks today, mostly teal and smiling Mallards (Shovelers)
    Back at it tomorrow. Good luck to all!

4. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

well we were hunting local geese so I can't really give a report other than they are really dumb :dv .........didn't have a problem killing our limits of honkers but there sure weren't very many ducks........maybe saw 75 woodies and 300 gadwall

Rice lake is loaded with ducks from the guys i talked to that hunted there today.......just not many got killed.......lots of spoonies and ruddy ducks lost there lives though I heard

Quiver was pretty sad my dad said, killed some woodies but that aint much

5. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

My buddy hunted the blind today, 2 guns and 2 woodies. :cry Said he didn't even see many teal moving early like yesterday and didn't see hardly any mallards. Early season hunting......................ain't it great! :rolleyes:

6. Rail

Rail Elite Refuge Member

Yesteday was a bust... We gagged as did most of the upper river valley... Total shoot for 3 blinds in our hole: 6 woodies.. Mallets seen: ZERO!

Today was a different story.. They thought they would stick me with the crappy blind.. Just me and my 8 y/o daughter... Woodrows: 2... Mallets: 3 green.. Other 2 blinds: TWO WOODIES... I love it when a plan comes together...

The up side to everything was that we actually had mallets work some and I saw 15-20 HIGH FLYIN groups all V'd up... LOTS of woodrows in the air today too... No Pins, Teal or Blacks.. Did see a few Gray ducks out over the treeline... Sure seems like we're in mid-season form already up here...

7. TenBirds

TenBirds Senior Refuge Member

Been a while since I have posted and want to say have a good season all!

As for the hunt this weekend it was good...

16 on Sat and 9 on Sun.

Sat. = 4 guns, 8 woodies 8 mallards (all but one mal. shot after the fog lifted)

Sun. = 3 guns, 7 mallards, 1 woodie and (get this!) a Mandrin duck!

I thought that was rare but a guy over at Mahaffies (sp?) shot one too!

Mine had a zip-tie for a band???

I hope I didn't shoot some kid's 4-H project...

Dog was exceptional and all in all was a great time.

Tenbirds

p.s.: Rail and to whom ever else it matters I hunted with Jerry

8. Rail

Rail Elite Refuge Member

I'm huntin with you next time then... I should have bought the guided hunt at the dinner... :l :l

9. TenBirds

TenBirds Senior Refuge Member

hehehe...

Do you know who bought my hunt...?

I don't

By the way it doesn't sound like you did so bad...

Good thing you had your "good luck charm" with you.

;)

Tenbirds

10. DukDOgs

DukDOgs Senior Refuge Member

Sunday we got 12 geese and zero ducks. In fact, i haven't seen many ducks around the northern zone/ central zone boarder. Reading some of these posts, i know iam not alone. Friday night we had a fresh set of new geese into the area, along with a few snow geese. My friends hunting along the cooling lakes said they didn't see squat.