Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Daily IL River Valley Report

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Hairshark, Oct 29, 2005.

1. zebulon

zebulon Elite Refuge Member

Lots of ducks and geese around. Should be good up to the end of duck season. I would post more, but I'm off to get a new cell phone. No way a good friend would shoot that many geese and not call. How soon they forget.

2. Ryan Graves

Ryan Graves Elite Refuge Member

ouch that hurt:mad:

3. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

well maybe if he checked his phone more than once every 5 days:rolleyes: ........nice try to get the guys on here to feel sorry for ya:clap :l

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Thats how kids are now-a-days, Bob. If Q007 realy wanted to get ahold of ya, he coulda stopped by the house, sent a letter, stripper telegram, SOMETHING.
    Darn kids.

5. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

Hey Aaron, sent you a pm.:tu

6. illinibaldplate

illinibaldplate Senior Refuge Member

Well me and the Captain and Super Jim and the meathunter were back on the unfrozen creek starting Monday afternoon. MY MY did we ever see the ducks... Yes they were everywhere. The mallards would look but wouldn't finish but the show was absolutely great. The geese were out in numbers and we were able to take 3. The unbelievable part of the hunt was the number of gadwall that are still in this frozen tundra. It is hard to believe that this little old warm weather duck is still here in large numbers. We were able to kill 7 in the afternoon.
    Yesterday we started out by pass shooting some geese that were stayin' up in TJ land and were able to scratch 3. We added a single later in the mornin'. We also had a mixed bag of gadwall, mallard, a bull sprig and one Jimmy Durante.... :eek: The meathunter couldn't pass on it. In the afternoon we scratched some mallards and grey ducks. The total was 12. All in all a very nice day spent with good fun hunters and friends. The Captain's duck lunch was great as always.
    This morning we were treated to a completely open creek and our anticipation of a quick mornin' soon meet with frustration as the day was hard to see more than a couple hundred yards but we did manage 8 mallards and 4 grey ducks. Not bad for the numbers we saw.
    The Captain, Supreme Commander, Tom Cat and I will give it a go in the morning and hope we have a little sun and wind to finish out the huntin' for this week. Will let you know the results tomorrow..
    The numbers aren't as great as they were a couple of weeks ago prior to the Siberian Express but still this hunt was just as good because of the time spent with fine friends and experiencing the companionship that hunting gives us all. That as they say is priceless and hope you all can experience it and realize that this is what it is about... :grvn

7. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

At least your out there and enjoying yourselves!

The weather is forecast to get cold again this weekend........:cry

8. QUACKHEAD007

illinibaldplate, I can't beleive you guys freeze up back there.......sure theres not as much current as the main creek but I would think if ya's broke a hole it would stay open pretty good.......ok i'll ask you again did you see the flocks of mallards that had 1000+ birds this time out???........you had too:yes ....tuesday night I saw the biggest flocks of mallards i've ever seen in my life.......absolutely HUGE.....keep at em':tu

9. TJ

TJ Senior Refuge Member

Once they place the boards in at the ware, and quiver starts backing-up at the beginning of the season, it really slows the current down, except in the main channels. Even with the main channel running directly in front of one of our blinds......... were almost froze out last week. Good news (akin to Plate), we have really opened up again.
    I've been swamped up here at work, but my dad and a couple of his Pekin buddies have been calling w/ reports. Bout' enough to make me wanna puke w/ envy.
    If anybody ever figures out a way to earn enough $$ to support mamma, four daughters and two dawgs.......hunting ducks. Please share?!

10. QUACKHEAD007

TJ somebody down that way was banging away tonight.......all the geese were already out in the fields by the time I got to my buddies pit.......I still managed to kill one though.......I saw enough ducks tonight to about make you sick.......wave after wave of ducks from 3:00-4:00 going back to CILCO all about 1,000 yards high.........now I just need to figure where the heck all those ducks are going out to feed:rolleyes:

Aaron