Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Daily IL River Valley Report

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Hairshark, Oct 29, 2005.

1. haleystoner

haleystoner Senior Refuge Member

Most of the ducks you saw were all over the Liverpool bottoms. Cody and I killed 6 mallets, could have had more but I just cant get myself into shooting into bunches of 200 to 300 birds. Never did it before and wont do it now. I will pm you later.

2. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

We had 2 guns in the blind Thursday morning and walked out w/ 6 mallets. Most of the birds that worked in tight were singles and doubles. The big flocks didn't want any of the action. The morning started off pretty hot w/ 4 birds down by 8:00, then it got slower but we did manage 2 more by the time we left. About 9:30 the sky was full of high birds. Some appeared to be headed back to duck creek and others looked like they might be migrating. Whatever the case, there were big flocks of 100 to 200 birds pretty darn high. The geese were everywhere! We couldn't get any into the spread thursday, but had fun trying. We got to witness some moron past the trees trying to pass shoot geese to south of us. The dumbazz was taking shots at 70 to 80 yards when they would go over where he was sitting, educating every flock. Sounded like the guys down below us were really crunching the mallards, there was a lot of shooting. Was that you Plate? Lots of birds in the area!:tu

3. Tuledog

Tuledog Senior Refuge Member

Hairsnake,

Those dudes were out again today...they are very close to the Lab here. I saw them cripple at least one, the shots were just too high. That **** wears me out.

Glad y'all are still killing ducks.

Josh

4. illinibaldplate

illinibaldplate Senior Refuge Member

Shark, we were out in the Captain's nest yesterday. The Canadian team of me, The Captain, Supreme Commander and the Tom Cat were whackin' the geese and a mixed bag of ducks. This is the first hunt we have had as a team since returning to the States in Mid October. It was a real blast as we discussed this year's prairie hunts and other actions. Two of the boys were really upset that some of the prairie characters were not around and extra cirricular actives were at a low.. The Commander only went to get an ice cream sandwich twice in the two weeks. Don't understand why so few 22 mile drives for a cheap sandwich when it was only 55 outside? Was there a different server this year? The Tom Cat who was field promoted to Corporal during our trip was pleased with the day's shoot as we stacked some geese and ducks. He had only killed 5 or 6 ducks at his club all year so the creek was some real fun for him.
    We started out by blasting 3 geese as they vacated TJ Land and that started the day off right. The little miss Savannah kept lookin' at me as I sent her for another 12# so early in the morning. The duck show was very limited as the day started with no wind and a heavy frost. We managed 4 more blackfeet and should have had our 8 but the boys messed up on a pair and only added one to the pot. Of course this happened when I was running an errand so I guess we can really tell who is the real killer on this team...:l. Also during my absence a group of about 200 mallards worked the area and only one greencap stayed after the flock had left. He went into the pot. Hmm wonder why when I was in the blind we broke off several high bunches and killed 4 greencaps? Who is the caller then? We also added 3 greys to the pot as well as a woodie:confused: and the Captain made a very good shot on a bluebill :eek:. Don't ask me, he gave the command and was the only one who shot. The rest of us saved our bullets... All in all it was a great reunion hunt and one that I truely enjoyed. The Cap made us a fine mallard lunch and we all broke camp early as the Cap had to return early so that the grandkids could wish him a happy B-Day as he joined the ranks of the Social Serurity crowd.. :clap
    Tuledog and Shark I did see the idiots shooting high geese as they left the refuge. We really thought that we could have gotten some of them to work but not after being shot like that. We found three dead geese on the creek so wonder if these idiots are only sailin' geese that are diein' more than a mile away. Just doesn't make any sense to me and wish the wardens would get them for not attempting to retrieve a downed bird. Maybe such action would stop that nonsense.
    Shark sounds as if you guys had a decent shoot. We just haven't been able to finish off the mallards as it seems they don't want water but instead are looking for some feed. Well can't have everything. Will give you a call to see if you have a spot open in the morning as the Captain has a full house...
    Am heading to the Land of Clinton, our greatest president, on Sunday to hunt with Mitch and the Memphis crew for 4 days as my Arkansas club opened its second season today. Mitch has said that there is still alot of birds on the fields and Claypools.
    Hunt often but most importantly hunt safely. Tuledog, where do you hunt in Arkansas? I am about 4 miles east of Weiner right next to Claypool. :tu :sp

5. Tuledog

Sounds like you got all the good spots IBP...You hunt on Nolan Evan's land? When I've hunted there I've hunted pretty far south near Eudora. I also have a couple friends with leases or land around DeWitt. That's about it!

Josh

6. illinibaldplate

Was some of your research conducted on the ground owned or leased by Nolan? He is a great landlord and a very good duckhunter. Yes we do hunt three of his pits on about 600 acres. He would seem to be a landlord who might be willing to try some of your recommendations. Our club house (sleeps 12) is the little old white farm house leading to the grounds. It really works out nice. If you ever want to hunt with me down there let me know (send a PM) and will be more than happy to have you. Much easier down there than here to have guests. Also, have access to some hunting around the Cash River near Cash. A club member from last year has bought 8 pits over there and they usually will kill some ducks. I will be down there some of the remaining days of December and plan to hunt the first couple of days in Jan. then be there from the 8th to the end of season. :grvn :sp :yes
    Good luck and hope to see you in the land of Clinton. They killed 23 yesterday out of two pits, not bad not good but better than I did here..... :yes

7. Tuledog

IBP - Indeed I did conduct some of my research on Lloyd and Nolan Evan's land in 2000. We sampled near there in other years as well, I think the fella's name was Huber. One of the fields was right next to your clubhouse. Small world, eh? Nolan was very nice to me, I'd like to meet him again. Anyway, I'd love to hook up with you, perhaps in January. We should keep in touch. Josh

8. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

Hairshark, his buddy, and myself went to his spot on the creek this morning for one heck of a shoot:yes .......the first 10 minutes i've never seen so many ducks that close to my head in my life, we killed 9 ducks the first 10 minutes of shooting time all within 15 yards:dv .......after that it was like a switch just shut them off didn't see a duck for almost 2 hours

then 11:00 rolled around and ducks started moving again but were landing about 100 yards down the creek from Hair's blind.....soooo we moved down to where the ducks were landing and finished the day off in 15 minutes

ended up killing 8 mallards and 9 gadwalls......easily could have killed that last ducks for full limits but we decided to just head out, deffinetely a great hunt:tu

Aaron

9. illinibaldplate

Quack 007, saw some blackfeet heading to your vicinity this AM. You must have been awol because I heard no shootin'. Them old ducks were hidin' out this mornin' as me, the bean counter and farmer boy only managed 4 greencaps and 1 gadwall. The early morning show was the only film running today. The geese didn't cooperate either so the season came to an abrupt end. Had a blast all year long with my crew and the Captain and his crew :grvn as well. Also, enjoyed the postings and the fun had by all. :clap
    Geez can't wait until next season, EGADS :nutz I sound like a Cub Fan...
    The Land of Clinton sucked as the high pressure and cold weather kept the water hard and the wind to 0. Did see some high bunches of ducks on Thursday morning as the fields were thawing out so maybe they were movin' back in from the rivers and await my return. Of well will try again soon. :tu :yes
    Tuledog, will give you a call next week and set up some time to arrange a hunt together.
    God Bless you all and enjoy a safe and happy holidays.

10. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

illini, i've been hunting one of my friends fields about 20 miles north of there lately.......killed 13 geese and 1 mallard drake out of there the last 2 days, good to here that there still flying out that way even though season aint gonna last long

we didn't see 1/4 the birds today we saw yesterday

Aaron