Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Daily IL River Valley Report

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Hairshark, Oct 29, 2005.

1. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

HOLY CRAP there some shooting down by the Hialeh sp? Club tonight. The geese were just pouring from the hot tub all afternoon.

2. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

good to hear i'll be out there tommorow killing them:sp :grvn

3. illinibaldplate

illinibaldplate Senior Refuge Member

Had the absolute best pleasure to wrap up my 2005 Central Duck Season with 2 of the finest gentlemen you could ever share a cup of duck blind coffee with, TJ and his Dad, Maury :grvn . We hunted their ice free blind on Monday morning and were able to gather 3 mallards, 2 with greencaps. We did have others work but they were more interested in food than water. Saw TJ's dog, Tank, make serveral nice retrievers as Maury was able to get a couple of "action" pictures. They allowed a bunch of geese to go into Buck's blind rather than calling them off :clap so watched them get 2. This was a prime example of how a good duck hunter should act, if someone else has them coming in shut up and let them go. That is something that according to a lot of post on this site just doesn't happen. That is too bad because then we could all enjoy the sport a little more. Maybe everyone should follow the lead of these two fine hunters and learn that the hunt is not about numbers but instead is about being kind to our fellow hunters and maybe you too can make some new friends and even enjoy the season more. Think about it guys. :yes
    Thanks TJ and Maury not just for the hunt but for the learning experience. See you all next year.... :tu :grvn

4. nuthin_but_green

nuthin_but_green Elite Refuge Member

EXACTLY!!!:tu

5. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

I have to say we ended the season w/ a BANG! I've been away from work so I haven't had a computer to post the last few hunts. After a successful hunt in Which Quack007 joined myself and a friend, we headed back out on thursday and 3 guns collected 7 mallards, 7 grey ducks and a dumb goose to boot!:yes Then I had to go on X-mas sabatical. The last hunt was yesterday, the season ender. We parked the trucks and on the short walk to the blind, heard what must have been 300+ ducks getting off the water:eek: . Needless to say, it was another outstanding hunt. We ended the season with 10 mallards and 7 grey ducks! We hunted over 2 decoys about 100 yards from the blind and just pounded ducks. Every bunch that came wanted to land right downstream of the big spread. It's amazing how ducks will prefer 2 dekes over 100 sometimes in the late season. I think we started picking up the dekes at 10:00. To all that enjoyed the 2005 duck season, over and out!!!

6. Woodstock

Woodstock Elite Refuge Member

:tu :tu :clap :clap

7. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

I love the comment on the last aerial survey dated 12/26 for duck creek.........."did not fly due to too many birds in the air"!:clap Tell me about it, wish the season would stay open for another week or two. Then again, I don't know if my shoulder would take it!!:dv

8. TJ

TJ Senior Refuge Member

Plate,
    Many thanks for the kind words. The pleasure was all ours. Dad and I have truly enjoyed your company and wit in the blind on both occasions.
    Plus, you are one heckuva tremendous shot my friend.:tu When Buck, Doc, Louie, Dad and I we were up at the cabin for lunch.....after you had left, we had a few laughs on how you had pulled several threesomes and foursomes out of the large flocks in the stratosphere w/ your calling.

Lastly, I can't tell you many times over my past 30+ years of waterfowling I've heard the comment(s) ........if everybody would just let'em work (ducks), we would all have a chance at some decoying birds. So true.
    I think we would all agree, there's nothing better than a handful of greenheads, w/ locked wings and landing gear down........dropping into your spread of blocks.

9. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

I kinda figured you boys would be whacking em':yes ......drove by there the other day and there was close to 50 all strung out by the bridge..........It really is kinda cool how those ducks will pass up 70+ decoys all crammed up in that creek just like real ducks do to sit with those 2 decoys out in the middle of the creek........what even cooler is to sit there in that brush and them not even know your there when ya shoot at em':yes