Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Daily IL River Valley Report

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Hairshark, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Tuledog

Tuledog Senior Refuge Member

Pretty slow for me lately. Some boys on "the creek" have been getting a few, but not just slamming them either...hoping it will pick back up!

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Atta boy Danny ! :tu
    I made comment on how I have yet to get a nice drake common merg since I've started hunting. Them suckers are big ol ducks. I'd like one for the wall. I have only gotten ONE red breasted merg in 24 years of hunting ducks.
    The mudhole gets alot of em in the Spring, just not many in the Fall.

As for my report, the geese are flying around somewhat but the ducks are a lil bit few and far between.

3. hercload

hercload Senior Refuge Member

Hunted yesterday along the Illinois river in the central zone. Saw more mallards than I have in years. The birds were sitting in flooded timber a couple hundred yards away from the blind making a helluva racket. Killed a two man limit without even blowing a call.

4. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

When I arrived at the club this morning a change of plans was in store. Based on some top secret info we decided to pass on our regular surroundings and hooked up to the boat. The ole river is well out of its banks and we headed for "parts unknown". Arrived at the ramp and headed across the lake to the sight of thousands and thousands of ducks in the air in every direction we looked. We found a nice little growth of willows and decided that was the spot. Tossed out a few dekes and jammed the boat into the willow thicket. It wasn't 30 minutes and the fog started to engulf everything. The tree line that was not more than 100 yards away had completely disappeard. I hate duckin' in the fog. It was so thick you could hear the ducks MUCH better than you could see them. After some manuevering and a change in tactics, 3 of us managed to kill 8 mallards. There was ducks absolutely everywhere, but they couldn't see us and we couldn't see them. We left about 1:30 and after we started across the lake in the pea soup we had to get the compass out to ensure we were headed in the right direction. We had a great time, and it was interesting huntin' those bastages in that fog. I think we would have been done by 9:00 if the fog hadn't dealt us a bad hand.

5. Orange_airbrakes

Orange_airbrakes Elite Refuge Member

I've had some of my best shoots in the fog. If they can't see you let em hear you.;) You can tell what call to give by listening to their wings.

6. goosedown00

goosedown00 Elite Refuge Member

We hunted in the fog a week ago and got lost trying to find a blind I've hunted many times before. Thank God for the compass. Here's the story, and a pic.

http://www.pjstar.com/php/index.php?/lampe/P7/

[​IMG]

7. Il. MudDuk

Yeah Pat. There is a new gadget on the market...it's called a "duck call" ! :l :clap :grvn :dv

8. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

And just what would you know about CALLING ducks?:dv :l :l :dv

9. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Elite Refuge Member

Brrrr Brrrrr Brrrrrr just like that, right pres. :tu

10. Il. MudDuk

Preach on brutha, preach on! :tu

My report.....
    I saw 50 ducks yesterday and maybe 50 today.
    Today's whackage number? , 1 gadwall.