Dakota packable mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by jjseman, Dec 24, 2017.

1. jjseman

jjseman Senior Refuge Member

Of the guys who have handled the Dakota packable mallards, is the weight saving on a dozen significant compared to their standard decoys? I also wonder about the memory the material has when using them in the cold. Will they return to their original shape easily after being compressed in the bag? I think these may be a good option for a walk in hunter like myself. I generally run less decoys then I’d like in order to save weight for the long haul.

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about the Dakotas but the lucky duck deception ones are incredibly light.

jjseman and Green Duck Truck like this.
  3. jjseman

I was looking at those as well. They seem to be made of similar eva plastic composition. I felt that the Dakotas have a brighter color and sit a little higher on the water, so I was leaning towards those. The only thing that I don't really like about the Dakotas is the fact that they have flocked heads-I'm not into flocked heads on mallard decoys. They are just a pain to keep looking nice.

freefall likes this.
  4. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I've used my Lucky Duck packables a surprising amount this season. Just got them ready for a hike tomorrow! :tu

jjseman likes this.
  5. jjseman

You like the way they are holding up so far? Is it noticeably lighter one you get them all in your decoy bag? I’m always looking for ways to shave the weight for my long walks into public land.

6. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

Holding up well. I've been mixing those with a dozen of the Banded Mallard company foam decoys (like the old Feather Flex mallards) for a seriously lightweight hike-in spread. :tu

b24bfba1161a14c6dd26c47ef9341717.png

jjseman likes this.
  7. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I ordered a 6r of the Dakota's. I'll post up once I get my hands on them.

jjseman likes this.
  8. drk9988

drk9988 Senior Refuge Member

Where I was bringing maybe half doz/doz of my old dekes(full curls) I feel I can comfortably bring two dozen of these.. When you get em blow them up and run them under hot water then let them sit full for a couple days...This will make them remember the right shape.. The slightest breeze moves them.. I'm all in and happy so far.. Ordered a second dozen just the other day.

jjseman and Mean Gene like this.
  9. jjseman

Sounds like a winner!

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I still use my old FUD decoys, both in the field and on the water. Very versatile and from a distance, very realistic.