Dakota packable mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by jjseman, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Stopped in at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and looked at the Lucky Duck packables. They squish down and blow out easily in the store, not sure how they'd do once they were cold. Seemed to have about the same weight as the small Flambeaus I've used the last 3 years, which is minimal. You could easily get 3 dozen of the Lucky Ducks in a bag that was maxed out with 2 dozen hard body decoys. Drakes looked good. Hens were darker than other decoys, but I don't think that's bad at all.

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I had a dozen of the early feather flex from 92 or so... Wind would flip them in a heartbeat!

I think the line ran through the back to an adjuster clip to keep them sucked down and upright in later models.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Haven't used the Dakota's, but they look nice. I have about 20 of the White Rock ones, and they are nice. Shot a few ducks over them so far, maybe 10-12, and they all decoyed into them. They don't look as good as the Dakota's, IMO, but they work. I use a mix of the feeders and the regulars. I am noticing paint coming off of a few (mostly on the bills of the mallards), but they probably have about 100 miles of being toted in a decoy bag on my back since last year.

I have noticed they are harder to get back into form when it's below freezing, but still hold their form for the most part. If they are of the same material, you should be good to go. EVA is the same plastic they use to make milk jugs, if I'm not mistaken, so that should give you some idea of how the plastic will feel.

4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

20180110_190736.jpg

Lucky in the middle.

ghg OS on the left and life size on the right.

Very light weight.

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Yep. I think they're work well for a guy carrying all his gear.